Saturday, March 19, 2016

got a feeling that i'm going under

Today went pretty well, all in all....still not enough words, but the words I got were pretty good, so I'll take it. I'm still in Sonoma, obviously, and I have firmly established myself as the eccentric person sitting in the corner of the bar with her laptop. However, I didn't sit in the bar allll day today - I spent some time working outside by the pool, which was nice. And I sat in the lobby for awhile, which was also nice.

Eventually, though, I took a bona fide break - I booked a last-minute massage in the spa, and it turned out that this was key, because even though I "wasted" three hours between changing, going over there early to use the steam room/jacuzzi, getting the massage, showering, and changing back into bar-appropriate clothes, I was able to eke out another ten pages after I was done that I doubt I would have gotten otherwise. My neck was killing me after all the time I've spent on my laptop recently, and so a massage was great for it - and some enforced downtime, with no cellphone and no screen to stare at, was probably even more helpful. In fact, it was so helpful that I may have to pay to use the pools/steam room tomorrow even without getting a massage...but we'll see if I actually follow through on that, or whether I instead torture myself for not writing ninety million words.

sssanyway. The massage was one of the best I've had, and made me wish that I still had someone in SF whom I felt like going to regularly - I may have to put some effort into finding someone. Then I came back to my room, changed back into real clothes, and went down to the bar, where I had a steak and some wine and wrote quite productively for a couple of hours. I was a wee bit distracted by the tv, and so I saw the UNI/Texas buzzer-beater live, which was pretty thrilling - but since I had blocked the internet on my laptop and left my phone in my room, I couldn't react to it online as well as I wanted to. C'est la vie, I guess. But it's great to see all three Iowa teams advance, even though one of those teams holds more than its fair share of my loyalty.

But by eleven or so, the bar was starting to fill up with people from the large group that's here right now (they were at dinner offsite earlier, but came back to party like they did last night), so I vacated and came to my room. And it's becoming clear that I'm not going to get any more done tonight, so I'm going to sleep and hopefully dream of the scenes I need to write tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: