Wednesday, March 30, 2016

you can't go back to constantinople

Today was the day I was supposed to return to the city of sin, but thanks to last week's blizzard misadventure, I had extended my trip and will be leaving on Sunday instead. I have begun to ration things to make it through my hiatus in the hinterlands (okay, that means I had to reuse one pair of contacts once, and I might run out of Philz coffee, but I still have Starbucks Via packets and some Harney and Sons tea, so I think I'll survive). But other than the dwindling caffeine stockpile, I'm glad that I stayed a couple of extra days - it's always good to test, once in awhile, how long the parents will put up with me (and feed me) in case everything goes to hell and I never write another book and also can't get another job. Yes, that seems like an extremely unlikely scenario - but you have to prep for level 5 disasters, not just level 1s.

sssanyway. I slept later than I meant to today, and so wasn't particularly productive in the morning (and by that I mean I did absolutely nothing). I mostly hung out and gave my parents an impromptu mini lesson on the Crusades, which probably downgraded the length of my welcome here by at least a week. Then I spent the afternoon discussing genetics and 23andme with my mom (verdict: we don't know where my Native American / East Asian blood came from, but I kind of doubt she cheated on my dad, so it's lurking somewhere in their lineage...but definitely not in my paternal grandfather's lineage, since it's on one of my X chromosomes and Granddad would have given my dad a Y).

My evening progressed along similarly low-key lines - I took care of some business, finalized my tax situation, ate supper with the parents, etc. But tonight was a "Criminal Minds" night, which I hate, so I came downstairs and forced myself back into my own story, where I ultimately wrote four pages. Not forty pages, but better than nothing.

And now I need to sleep, and hope that I'm not as lethargic tomorrow morning as I was this morning - goodnight!

No comments: