Sunday, April 10, 2016

and you have the audacity to even come and step to me

I spent most of today recovering from most of yesterday. The only real issue is that I was super tired physically, and also close to my introvert wall emotionally - which is not to say that I never want to see people again, but if I had been left to my own devices today I might have hermitted the fuck out.

However, I was not left to my own devices - I had made plans to have dim sum with Ritu, Bill, and Claudia before Ritu and Bill left town, and dim sum is too important to skip. Err, I mean, Ritu and Bill's departure was too important to skip. Unfortunately, due to some planning debacles + some irrational optimism on my part, I stupidly didn't eat breakfast this morning - and so by the time we actually ate, I was hitting peak levels of hangry.

But the dim sum was the best dim sum I've had in a long time (possibly ever - it even beat my beloved Hong Kong Flower Lounge). I picked up Ritu and Bill and we met Claudia at Koi Palace in Daly City. She put our name in at 1:15, which was a good thing, since we ended up not getting seated until 2:15. Again, I was super hangry at this point (although I was still having a v. good time), and we ordered a ton of food, but it was all so good that I probably could have kept eating even though everyone else was stuffed by the end. Their taro meat dumpling was particularly excellent, as were their rice noodles, and the dumplings were also really great. A couple of things never materialized, but this may have been for the best (although, as I said, I probably would have kept eating anyway).

This was all a great sendoff for Ritu and Bill - I wish they lived here, or that I lived there, or that I could have all of my friends within a twenty-minute drive in some magical place with beaches and mountains and hipster bars and dim sum restaurants and houses that cost <$200k to buy. But I would settle for seeing Ritu and Bill a bit more often. I know I've got more fun times coming up with them this year, thanks to wedding shenanigans, but I will have to make some pilgrimages to the east coast at some point in the not-so-distant future.

Eventually, we parted ways, and I dropped them off at Vidya's before coming home. I wanted to pass out immediately, but I called my parents instead - they were in fine form, with not much to report since I parted ways with them last week. Then I sat around and vegged for a couple of hours, but eventually I dragged myself to my desk (aka my table), reevaluated my plans for last week and created my plans for this week, sent some emails, wrote some checks, and took care of various and sundry tasks. My brain was too fried to write tonight, but I got through the random little things that could have tripped me up tomorrow.

And now I'm going to go to bed tres early, hope for eight solid hours of sleep before the sun wakes me up, and then spend tomorrow engrossed in the story. Goodnight!

No comments: