Friday, April 22, 2016

i took a pill in ibiza

Today got off to a bit of a weird start when I thought there was an earthquake, but it seems that it was some bizarre sensory combo of intense rain on the skylights above my bed + somehow rocking myself in my sleep. Yeah, I don't know what to make of that either.

But I went back to sleep after realizing that I was alive and not about to be buried under the apartment above me, so that was all good. And when I woke up, I had a fairly decent morning - I made some avocado toast, drank some iced coffee, did some writing, and had a great realization about the next scene I need to work on, so that was all delightful.

By 1:15 it was time for me to slack off for the day, so I went to my favorite nail place and got the old gel polish removed and new gel polish put on. Then I met up with Chandlord for a late afternoon drink and snack, which is a delightful way to spend Friday afternoon (as I discovered last week). We ended up going to Belga, which used to be my oh-so-beloved Des Amis - I hadn't been in there since it opened, since I couldn't quite get over my Des Amis grief, but it has been over a year, so I suppose it was time. On most evenings it looks way too bro-ish for my tastes (although I think Chandlord would assume that bros are my thing, since I am white), but in the afternoon it was quiet and lovely, and so a glass or two of rosé and some fries to share was a perfect interlude. Vidya totally lost interest in my detailed observations of everything that had changed between Des Amis and Belga (they kept most of the layout, but restained the wood to make the place lighter, switched some of the table layout in the bar area, etc...but you don't care either). But on the whole, we had a good conversation, so it was worth it.

Then I walked her to Blue Fog so she could grab a bottle of wine for the thing she was going to, and then I decided to stay in the Marina (my old 'hood) and have dinner rather than sharing a lyft with her. I was going to stop in at Nectar to say hi to the owners, but they were having a private event tonight, so I v. briefly said hello to Chris and then continued on my way. I ended up at Mezes, which I hadn't been to in forever, and it was quiet early on, which gave me ample opportunity to catch up with Marco about all the things we've been up to + the trip he's about to take to Brazil (I voted for him to spend his money on an economy plus upgrade rather than a yellow fever vaccine, but I warned him repeatedly that I'm not a doctor, so his mileage my vary).

And now that I've had a v. Marina afternoon and evening, I think I want to sleep and aim for some solid wordcount tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: