Thursday, April 14, 2016

if you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain

I continue to be reminded that having midday plans is bad for productivity...but (spoiler) today's midday plans were worth it. I spent the morning doing administrative stuff that had to get done - mostly sending cover art files to Audible for the books they bought (uh, did I mention that I sold audiobook rights to the first four books? the contract is signed, so it's safe to announce it - the deal had been in the works for awhile, but the audiobooks won't be out for another few months, so don't get too excited yet). I also took care of some more swag-related activities for the thing I'm going to in Milwaukee at the end of the month, which was unusual for me since it means I didn't have to pay rush shipping for the stuff I ordered (I'm so on top of it!).

But I had to stop working and drive down to the Mission for lunch, which I was totally late for because parking was way worse than I expected (probably because half the streets had street sweeping from 12-2pm today, so all those spots were temporarily unavailable). Since I couldn't park, I picked up my friend instead, and we went over to Valencia and had salads at Grub. The friend, whom longtime readers have all heard of, was Gyre - he had been at my former place of employment for thirteen years (shocking), but he left recently to take a way more exciting and intriguing job at Lyft. This was the first time I'd seen him since January, and when I saw him in January he made no mention of quitting - but he seemed vaguely dissatisfied. But it had still come as a shock when he emailed me a couple of weeks later to say he had quit. And today he told me it was all my fault - although I don't really believe that, since he left to make more money in a better job rather than to write romance novels, but I'll take credit if he'll let me.

sssanyway, it was awesome to catch up, and great to see that he found such an awesome role for him. It also gave me hope that I could eventually find gainful employment again if this writing thing doesn't work out (which it totally will, I'm just being dramatic), since our network is incredible. So hopefully now that he's settled into his new role, we'll go back to having more regular lunches again - but today was a good start.

After that, I was itching to write, so I went to Coffee Bar, which I hadn't been to in ages, and was wildly productive for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, I had to leave when my parking was up, and I wanted to get back to my neighborhood before traffic got bad - so I came home and proceeded to fuck around most of the evening, which means I should have gone out instead, but I didn't. However, I bought groceries and made a semi-elaborate dinner for one (spaghetti carbonara, with an egg yolk cracked into the middle when I served it, along with a glass of rosé because Ritu had texted me about rosé earlier and I was missing her and our boozy east coast escapades). I always feel like cooking more when I'm coming unblocked on a book, so I'm hoping this is a good sign.

But then I blocked myself - I really should just not plan to write at night, I think. But that's a lesson to learn again another night - right now I'm going to go to bed and try to rouse myself out of it earlier than nine a.m. tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: