Wednesday, April 27, 2016

if you live like that, you live with ghosts

I just stayed up way, way later than intended - I was being so good about going to bed at a reasonable hour so that I could get up and write, but that plan went out the window today. Actually, most of today's plans went out the window - and yet I feel good about it.

I went to Philz this morning to write, and the writing went okay enough - or at least okay enough to spend three hours there, which is kind of my max in the mornings. Then, somewhat on a whim, I rewarded myself with lunch at Lers Ros (my fave thai place), where I intended to read a couple of chapters of MISTBORN before coming home to write again.

The eating plan was great - stopping in there was tasty, and lunch is relatively cheap. And the taking a break to read plan was great, too - way better than wasting time on the internet for an hour. But unfortunately, MISTBORN is way way too good - and so when I got home, I read until 4:30 and finished the first book in the trilogy. Oops.

Then, dreaming of the story, and dreaming of my own story, I clearly still felt like clearing my head - so I channeled all of that energy into my living space, which means I vacuumed for the first time in months. This was growing increasingly urgent - while wampdevils, as Adit used to call my clumps of hair, don't swirl around on carpet the way they did on hardwood, my carpet was probably perilously close to become more hair than fiber. But I hate vacuuming, and so had put it off - but it's done now, and the place looks better for it.

Then I did three loads of laundry to prep for my upcoming trip, and while everything was in the dryer, I made spaghetti carbonara because it's super easy and I had the ingredients on hand and didn't feel like doing all the prep work necessary to make cobb salads (although they would have been healthier). And then, when all of that was done, I sat down to work again - and I looked at the story, and contemplated the next scene, and told myself I would just read a couple of chapters of the second MISTBORN book first...

...and the next thing I knew, it was 1:30am and I was halfway into the next book. Oops again. This feeling isn't quite so pleasurable, since I basically binged on reading and got to the point where I had a headache and knew I should have stopped ages ago, but c'est la vie. Now I need to go to bed and not let myself read until I hit my wordcount tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: