Saturday, April 02, 2016

i've willed, i've walked, i've read, i've talked, i know, i know...i've been here before

Second to last full day in Iowa, and it was all rather delightful. I was a good girl last night and set up internet blocks for my laptop and phone for 8:30-10:30 today so that I would be able to write - and then I thwarted all of my earlier plans by sleeping until ten. Ha.

But then I spent the morning drinking coffee and messing around with business stuff and story stuff, and doing a math problem with my family (related to circles and angles and radii, as applied to pipes). I also listened to some extreme tales of woe from [censored], who ventured to [censored] while wearing a [censored] and carrying a [censored] strapped to his belt, and while he wasn't able to go any farther than [censored] thanks to the corpse of [censored] dangling from [censored], he at least emerged unscathed. Yes, this is a far more cruel and interesting [censored] than usual, but you're going to have to be satisfied with this, since [censored] does not like for [censored] to be discussed publicly.

sssanyway. I then spent the afternoon packing up some stuff to take to the secondhand store in town, which has become one of the only viable businesses. I had actually chosen all the stuff to donate in December and left it piled in the living room downstairs, and my mom had theoretically agreed to donate it for me, but since my parents never spend time in the downstairs living room, it was easy to ignore it for another day (week, month) while she focused on feeling better instead (and/or watching basketball, which is now over). So I packed it all up, and then [censored] and I took it into town. The new secondhand store is really quite nice, or at least well-organized, so hopefully the stuff I donated finds a good home there.

Then, [censored] and I went for a drive and ended up at [censored], where he owns [censored]. It's all wooded, and what roads existed have mostly subsided into dirt, but it's quite beautiful in a haunted, empty sort of way. Not that it's actually haunted, I don't think. And it would be a great place for a house, even if the tennis courts that were intended to be there are covered in too many trees for effective gameplay.

After that, we came home, rendezvoused with our parents, and went to Seymour for supper. On the way, we detoured to see a house the Amish are building - the crazy thing about this house is that they actually moved a house out to the building site from town, which is miles and miles away. And then, when it arrived, rather than putting it on a foundation, they jacked it up and built an entirely new first story underneath it, turning the old first floor into the second floor, which meant the porch is now sort of a second-floor deck or something. Super bizarre, especially since we all recognize the original house and it's strange to see it pushed up a level in a totally different part of the county (and by people who will live it in without electricity or phones, but somehow have no problem moving a whole house).

So, supper was tasty, and then we came home and debated watching a movie, but I was too tired for such endeavors (and also needed some me-time). So I picked up a book...and the next thing I knew, it was one a.m. Lol. I'm reading JANE STEELE, which is a retelling of Jane Eyre that basically opens with 'Reader, I murdered him' - so you can tell this is right up my alley. The heroine is a totally badass murderess and yet entirely sympathetic, and I'm halfway through and I love it. We'll see if the love holds - but for now, I need to sleep if I have any hope of getting anything productive done tomorrow. Goodnight!

[and one last thing - happy birthday to Ritu, the master of disaster!]

No comments: