Saturday, April 30, 2016

the cold remains of what began with a passionate start

So, after last night's vomitous escapade, I didn't have super high hopes for today - but apparently the food poisoning was fast-acting, since I didn't throw up again overnight and felt mostly fine this morning. This was a v. good thing, since I had to be on all day and couldn't have done it if I was still feeling like vomiting every ten minutes. I still skipped breakfast and chose to drink Sprite instead, and I kept lunch super light, but I survived it all...

...and it was all quite lovely, I have to say. I was reminded that I have actual fans (weird) who are extremely annoyed that Rafe and Octavia's book isn't out yet (one of them sat next to me at lunch and now plans to email me every week until it comes out). This whole 'having fans' thing is still bizarre to me, and I wonder at what point it will stop being bizarre - and whether I will automatically be insufferable when it stops being bizarre.

Anyway, the people at my lunch table were all really lovely, and I had a great time hanging out with them. Then, I survived the book signing - luckily we were in alphabetical order by first name, which meant I got to sit next to Shawntelle, whom I've met several times before - she lives in St Louis but grew up in Iowa, so we had a great time chatting during lulls in the book signing. But I sold most of the books at my table, and I had multiple people come up to say that they loved 'x' book of mine (again, bizarre). It's still baby steps toward the level of success I want to have (my table was next to Eloisa James, for non-alphabetical reasons, and she had a line the whole time, which would be nice (albeit super exhausting)), but it was pretty fun.

After the signing, I took fifteen minutes to myself to change and sit in silence. Then I went downstairs and was going to grab dinner in the restaurant rather than going to the pizza party, but it turns out they had gluten free pizza in the corner, and I gorged on it despite the perhaps unwise move of eating so much after food poisoning - but since I threw up yesterday's lunch and didn't have dinner last night or breakfast or much lunch this morning, maybe it makes sense. I instead sacrificed alcohol and didn't use my drink tickets, which was probably the right call.

However, alcohol might have made some of the evening activities easier. I was having a great time hanging out with some readers, but then we got dragged into playing games - nothing as horrifically disgusting as the games that Katie and I were forced to play at a conference in Denver a few years ago, but still. The mad libs were pretty fun, though, and some of the charades were fun to watch, so I guess it was all good.

But now I'm at my introvert wall, and I need to sleep and continue to recover so I can make it through breakfast in the morning. Then I may grab a snack or drink or something with a reader whom I didn't get a chance to spend much time with, and then I need to hole up and write the rest of the day, so wish me luck with that. Goodnight!

No comments: