Friday, April 29, 2016

we need to fetch back the time they have stolen from us

Chicago O'Hare strikes again as my least favorite airport ever...but for a brand new reason that I didn't expect today, and it totally derailed my evening plans with tons of vomit. But we'll get to that in a sec.

I woke up at 5:40, but I slept terribly last night for the first time in ages, and my stomach felt sour when I woke up (again for the first time in ages), so I wasn't super thrilled to have to go the airport. But the morning was all smooth - I got to the airport, checked my bags, sailed through security, and was upgraded on my flight (and the plane usually flies international, so the upgraded seat was lie-flat and delightful). That flight was delayed by thirty minutes for prep issues, but I was supposed to have 2+ hours in Chicago, so I didn't really care. And I spent that flight quite productively - I did some writing and also worked on the back cover copy for Rafe and Octavia's book, so that was all great.

Then I got to Chicago, switched terminals, and made the mistake of eating sushi at a restaurant that said it had been chosen as one of the top ten airport restaurants in America. Maybe top ten for food poisoning! One of the rolls was great, and one was a little off, but I assumed it was the fact that I was eating airport sushi and it just wasn't going to be wonderful...

So I flew to Milwaukee, which was super easy - we were in the air less than 15mins. And everything was smooth when I arrived - my bags were first off the plane, the hotel shuttle was outside when I got there, and the ride to the hotel took three minutes. I checked in, ran down and grabbed my conference badge, ran back up and freshened up, and then went down just in time for the author Q&A to start (which I obviously was supposed to be at).

But within ten minutes I was feeling distinctly unwell. I went to the bathroom, and barely made it into the stall before I projectile vomited - luckily into the toilet, although I hit my badge (which washed off). Projectile vomiting sushi is not fun, especially when you can see everything that was in it - I probably won't be eating sushi for awhile, which is too bad since I love sushi. I felt better after I threw up, so I went back to the ballroom - but I lasted approximately five minutes before realizing that I wasn't going to make it. So I told the people I was sitting next to that I had to go (hopefully they made my excuses when my name was called later), and then threw up in the bathroom again. Then I came to my room and threw up for another three hours. Fun!

But between throwing up and napping, I'm feeling better - better enough that I haven't thrown up in a couple of hours, and was able to watch 'Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives' (the second time I left the ballroom was when someone started talking about their favorite foods and I realized I couldn't even listen to it). And I was able to drink a can of Sierra Mist and some water, so that's something.

Needless to say, I'm super annoyed about all of this, but I'm hoping that I'm over the worst of it and won't have any issues tomorrow, since I have to be on (I ran into some people in the lobby, two of whom are sitting at my table tomorrow - I mean, people bought tickets specifically to sit with me, which is wild and bizarre and wonderful, and I can't flake out). Soooo...I'm going to sleep for seven hours and hope that I make it. This is only my second-worst food poisoning extravaganza (top place goes to my iced tea in Bombay, where I was worried I was going to end up having to throw up in the bathtub while having diarrhea, all while sharing a room with Irish Matt and Alaska Matt - utter misery). And this is only vomit, so really, it ain't no thang. Goodnight!

No comments: