Sunday, April 17, 2016

wear my fist on my sleeve

Today was pretty great, all in all...but I'm worried that I'll fall asleep in the middle of writing this, so bear with me. I woke up this morning too late to get any writing done, but early enough to shower and make some iced coffee before leaving the apartment and picking up Chandlord for our east bay adventure. We went to Berkeley to meet John and Jess's baby, whose name is Ian - and he's suuuuuper cute. He's also something like eleven days old, so he's super small. I held him for a significant amount of time, and he slept right through one of the more ridiculous stories that I could tell John and Jess at the moment, so I think he and Auntie Wamp are going to get along just fine.

[note: I do not typically refer to myself as Auntie Wamp, but that's how Jess introduced me to him, so we'll see if it sticks]

So, we spent a delightful hour and a half catching up, and it was great to see that they all made it through the initial local minima of no sleep + starting to breastfeed and seem to be in good spirits. I'll have to go back on a weekday sometime, although I'll admittedly be more eager to visit when Ian is old enough to go to Saul's Deli for corned beef hash. But that's still a ways away, so I think I can be convinced to visit at other points in the meantime.

After saying our fond farewells to John and Jess and Ian, and after letting John get my car out of their impossibly steep/angled driveway for me, Chandlord and I drove back to the city of sin, where we immediately parted ways. Then I came home, ate some leftover pasta, and took a nap, because clearly I did a ton of work by holding a sleeping baby. And then I did some actual work - I alternated between sitting out on my terrace (because it was a gorgeous day) and sitting inside (because it's hard to actually work outside), and I wrote a bunch (or at least enough to not hate myself today, so that's a win).

But eventually I needed another break, so I ended up meeting John (different John) and Sheila at Little Star. I hadn't been there in forever - probably since I gave up gluten. But they have a gluten free crust now, and I think it would have been good if I had ordered better toppings (the pesto chicken was too dry for the gluten free crust, which was also dry). Also, Sheila brought a bottle of rosé, which was much appreciated. Also, I had a brief and delightful encounter with Raja, who is often a surprise special guest at family dinner, and it was nice to run into him in the wild.

So we ate our pizza, and then Sheila and I were both feeling like going to bed, but it was the bottom of the eighth in a close Giants/Dodgers game, so we indulged John's desire to watch the rest of it and went to Giordano Bros to have another drink and finish the game. The wine I ordered was beyond bad (it tasted like it had been open for at least five days and might actually poison me), so I made the unusual (for me) move of sending it back and getting a cocktail instead. But while the drink situation was non ideal (it would have been more ideal if I could drink beer, since their beer list looked great and their wines were clearly an afterthought), the conversation was entertaining and it was all a fun evening.

But then I was super sleepy and had no desire to go to a potential late-night karaoke excursion, so I called a lyft and hopped into it immediately. And now I need to sleep - tomorrow's schedule is cleared for more writing, and I need to make it happen. Goodnight!

No comments: