Wednesday, April 06, 2016

you've been chasing new things, falling out of love with molly

Today took some unexpected twists and turns, and I should have gone to bed two hours ago, but I think I shall survive. I woke up this morning feeling strangely apathetic and uninterested in my writing, despite having set up my internet blocks to try to enforce productivity, so I quite frankly wasted the morning (I didn't even make coffee - and I don't know if that's a sign of how bad my morning was, or if that's the reason my morning was bad). But I think it was really because I hadn't heard back from my editor yet, which made it difficult to focus.

However, I did do some admin-type stuff, so that's all good. And I eventually forced myself to write several pages in the afternoon, and I'll totally take them. I ended up hearing back from my editor around seven tonight, but I haven't read the feedback yet - but I think that's what I'll be doing in the morning before I get roped in to helping friends with a variety of activities.

I probably should have kept working tonight, but instead I took a shower (bold move, I know) and walked down to Civic Center Plaza, where there was an outdoor event in honor of some temporary installation of giant inflatable rabbits. It was a classic San Francisco scene - food trucks with absurdly long lines, a mix of people in festival clothes / people in just-got-off-work clothes (which further subdivides into the messy fashion fails of most tech workers, the cuter clothes of some upscale city dwellers, and the more formal stuff worn by the denizens of the government office buildings around Civic Center). There were also some people dressed as rabbits or rabbit-adjacent costumes (magicians, carrots). So the people watching was great, and sitting in the sun (until the sun went away) was lovely.

I met John there, who was with his friend Leslie, and we hung out for awhile before deciding to get food. A series of strategic errors were then made, which meant I held down a table alone for twenty minutes, then had drinks with Leslie (whom I had just met) for an hour while waiting for John to get through the food line. He chose MeSoHungry, which had a shorter line than some of the other trucks, but their service was super slow. However, the sliders and fries were super tasty, and I liked Leslie, so it was all good.

At some point more people arrive, whom I knew equally (which is to say that I didn't know them). One girl told some crazy stories, particularly when I found out that she had lived in Russia/Ukraine as a child, so perhaps I'll hang out with her again. Everyone else seemed nice enough...but I'll admit I had a flash of feeling like I shouldn't be hanging out and should be working instead.

But I didn't listen to that flash - when the music was done and they were packing up the chairs, John and I went down the street to Beer Hall, where we had another drink and I continued to tell him about all the animal deaths I witnessed in my youth (I may have told him about the Swingset of Death (tm) tonight, which is usually a good test of future friendship). Then we parted ways after last call, and I took a taxi home (because it was right there and I didn't feel like waiting in a super sketchy area for a Lyft).

And now I must sleep immediately if I have any hope of getting up and putting my own oxygen mask on before assisting others (and that, obviously, if you want me to spell it out, means that I should write in the morning before doing anything for anyone else). Goodnight!

No comments: