Tuesday, May 10, 2016

find me where the wild things are

I meant to be in bed an hour ago, but wine and writing and laundry derailed me. Today was pretty good, all things considered - the morning was not productive enough (mostly because I spent it researching potential coworking spaces that could make me more productive, which was an insidious type of procrastination because it almost felt like work). But I made some iced coffee, meditated, and salvaged the rest of the day, so it's all good.

Of course, I couldn't salvage the day without picking up my packages downstairs, which included a gorgeous new fountain pen and a bottle of my favorite ink (a somewhat-impulse buy from last week, although I'd had my eye on a new pen for awhile). So of course I had to ink it up and test it out, and it exceeded all my expectations (and now I want to write with it again immediately, even though bed is more important). Yes, I'm a dork, but you knew that...and fountain pens are vital for my process because I'm a serious artist, so whatever.

After that, I walked down to the Marina and had lunch at my favorite cafe, where I talked to Tony for quite awhile. There was virtually no one in there by the time I got there, so he sat at my table and we discussed a broad variety of topics (and I told him about my horrific experience visiting the Little House in the Big Woods as a child, which he found quite entertaining). This was all good for my spirits, even if it wasn't good for my productivity (or my theoretically low-carb choices, since I had to get huevos rancheros because I'm still feeling leery about eating salmon and other fish-type situations after last week's food poisoning adventure, and so I couldn't get the salmon/poached eggs that I usually get when craving something healthier).

Eventually, I parted ways with Tony and went to Equinox, where I sat in the lobby and wrote for two hours. Then I was tempted to go home, but I forced myself to do the workout I had planned, which went well (although my calluses were almost gone and I'm having to rebuild them with the kettlebells, but that's not the end of the world).

Then I was still going to go home, but I needed to finish the scene I was working on, and I knew I wouldn't want to write if I got here. So I showered and dried my hair, but I hadn't brought my makeup bag, so I went to Sephora (conveniently on the same block) and 'tested' some tinted moisturizer and mascara. And then I went to Belga, which used to be Des Amis, and pretended that it was Des Amis and that it was totally cool for me to pull out my laptop and write over a glass of wine and some steak.

This turned out to be a good call - I got another ten pages or so, and I felt happy there despite the fact that it's all different (and the chairs in the bar area are stools rather than benches/chairs, which isn't quite as comfy). And either I just have a face that makes bartenders/waiters want to comp me stuff, or the Ghost of Des Amis whispered in my waiter's ear, because he declared that he was buying my second glass of rosé and comped it even though I'd never met him before, had only been to Belga once before, and I assume the Des Amis VIP list did not transfer to the new owners (and even if it did, I hadn't given them my name). Lolol. I will gratefully accept whatever luck it is that gets me free drinks, and ignore the possibility that I'm burning my luck on drinks instead of books.

Eventually, though, my eyes were about to fall out, so I got a lyft home. And then I did laundry because the situation was getting dire and they're turning the water off in the building tomorrow night, and I have plans Wednesday and Thursday nights. And now, after all of that, I need to sleep rather desperately - I also have fun daytime plans tomorrow (writing date in the north bay, yay), so sleep is imperative. Goodnight!

No comments: