Saturday, May 14, 2016

if i quit calling you my lover, and move on

Today was a great mix of productivity and friend time, although it trailed off into sloth. I tried out another coworking space today, which means I got up and ate breakfast and was out the door by 9:30 so that I could walk down to the office and meet the person who runs it. The walk there was much better than the walk to the one I went to on Wednesday - slightly longer, and through Union Square (so more tourists), but I never felt like I was going to get robbed/stabbed/urinated upon, so that was super cool.

What's fun about this potential space is that Julie's startup is based there - she was the one who told me about it, after I tweeted about the first one. So after I toured the space (easy peasy, since there's one big room) and had a delightful conversation with the owner, I sat myself up at a desk near hers and wrote for a couple of hours. She and I ended up having lunch at a Thai place nearby (which was sort of a Thai Panda Express, albeit set up temporarily every day - it's a lot of food for pretty cheap), and it was great to catch up with her. I had seen her briefly at Vidya's dance recital last month, but we were way overdue for an actual conversation - and lunch + working near her for the day was a good way to do it.

Then we went back to the office and I wrote for another hour. I'm on the fence about the coworking idea - I actually have really enjoyed both days that I tried it, and felt like I got a lot done even though I only stayed for 4ish hours at both of them. The question is a) whether I would actually want to go everyday, which would be necessary to b) make it worth the cost...I travel so much and have so many things coming up this summer that I'm potentially only in town 10-14 business days a month, and so I would have to go almost every day that I'm in town to make it feel justifiable.

So, we'll see. I'm going to try another space next week, and then maybe go back to that one a couple of times through the end of the month (the one I'm trying on Monday is pay-as-you-go, so I don't have to commit).

After I left, I went to Chandlord's to have a drink with her. I had meant to grab a bottle of wine on the way but failed, and so we drank tequila and pomegranate juice while hanging out in her new living room (which used to be her bedroom, but she did a nice job reorganizing). So we talked for a couple of hours, which is always good for the soul. Then, I came home and got very little done tonight, although I did make pasta carbonara (not ideal from a carb standpoint, but ideal from a tastiness standpoint + the fact that I had all the ingredients on hand). But I've done some more brainstorming for what I want to write tomorrow, and I have a lot of time to write this weekend, so it's all good.

And now I am falling asleep because I'm so exciting - goodnight!

No comments: