Monday, May 09, 2016

i'll love you long after you're gone

So much for my vow to be in bed by 10pm every night this week....but tonight I must make an exception. This morning was a little rough because I somehow didn't go to bed until 2am last night, which was a huge mistake. But I eventually got out of bed around nine, and then I had quite a lovely morning beyond that - I made some iced coffee, meditated, and organized my plans and schedules for the week, so all of that felt delightful.

Then I showered and ate a sandwich and walked down to the Mission so I could get my bangs trimmed. I left a little later than I should have, thus sweating (glowing) enough to ruin my post-shower cleanliness because I had to speedwalk most of the way there. But I was successful in my speedwalking, and was also quite serendipitous - I happened to run into Adit (which wouldn't have happened if I'd been twenty seconds earlier or later), so we chatted for a couple of minutes. He and Vihaan were out shopping, which Vihaan seemed suuuuuuper psyched about (he was cute and entirely unconcerned with his surroundings). Of course, we both had to keep moving, so we didn't really catch up, but hopefully we shall see each other later this week or something. I had harassed him and Priyanka about hanging out this weekend, forgetting during the initial phase of harassment that a) yesterday was Priyanka's birthday (which I acknowledged via text message but not here - happy birthday Priyanka!) and b) today was their first mother's day as parents. Lolol. C'est la vie, as I like to say - and there's always next weekend.

Then I got my bangs trimmed, which was a quick errand. And then I holed up at Ritual and wrote for a couple of hours over their hipsterish iced coffee. That went well, and I didn't really want to stop, but I had to come home eventually. So I lyft'ed back, and then I called my parents - it was my usual Sunday call, but it was also mother's day, so I wished my mom well for that. After talking to them, I successfully eked out another forty-five minutes of writing, which was again going well enough that I didn't want to quit....

...but I had to quit in favor of this evening's somewhat impromptu dinner plans in the south bay with a surprise blast from the past. Well, surprise for you, not surprise for me. The blast in question was Walter (aka the Talbotross) - remember him? He and his wife moved up here a couple of months ago, and they are three-ish weeks away from having a baby, and he had contacted me about getting together before and I sucked at planning because I've been looking at my deadline and refusing to make substantive plans (and then doing last-minute things instead because I will usually realize every couple of days that I need to see people or go insane).

But he messaged me last night, and I realized it was now or never in terms of reconnecting before the baby arrives, so we hatched a plan. They live in Cupertino, so we split the difference and met in Belmont (which I'm becoming somewhat familiar with since Shedletsky and Bride of Shedletsky live there, and also Anne and Barbara are around there). It was great to see them - I hadn't met Carson before, and it's possible that I scared her off by talking too much about people whom Walter and I know. But I also hadn't seen Walter in close to two years, so we had a lot to catch up on. Hopefully this is not going to kick off another two year cycle of not seeing each other - but once this book is done and they're past the earliest stage of babydom, we'll have more time to get together.

After catching up, and after I regaled them with information about Zoolander 2, we parted ways, and I came home and realized that I wasn't going to be in bed by 10pm because it was 10:03pm when I walked in the door. But now that I'm all cleaned up and organized and ready for the week, it's time for bed - I need to slog brutally this week, so please punch me if it looks like I'm not doing that. Goodnight!

No comments: