Tuesday, May 03, 2016

maybe i'm just like my father, too bold

I'm back in San Francisco, where I must immediately go into total lockdown mode to finish my book by the 18th (at least finished enough to send to my editor). Things are getting real, since I just created preorders on all platforms for an end-of-June release - I'd had a preorder on iBooks for a long time, but there's no penalty on iBooks for pushing the preorder back, which I've now done like three times. But the other platforms are more finicky (and Amazon blacklists you from creating preorders for a year if you miss one)...so basically, now I'm committed. Ew.

So today was mostly spent working, while also traveling, while also hating Chicago O'Hare again. I checked out of my hotel at eleven, and I went to the airport early thinking I could hang out and work and eat lunch for a couple of hours - which turned into four hours, because my flight to Chicago was delayed by 90+ minutes. This was not good, since my original two-hour layover in Chicago was intended to give me time to make my leisurely way to the gate, and instead wasn't really enough time to accommodate the delay. And I blame Chicago for this, not Milwaukee, since the plane that was delayed originated in Chicago and had mechanical issues. Ugh. But it's probably a good thing I was delayed, since I didn't have to walk past the sushi restaurant that poisoned me and debate whether to accost someone.

But I got some solid work done at the airport, so whatever. And when I landed in Chicago, I immediately started running (I had 13 minutes to switch terminals before boarding ended, and while I had weak hopes that they would let me board after the draconian boarding cutoff time (which is now fifteen minutes before departure time), 13 minutes is not really enough time to get between terminals in Chicago). Luckily, the stars aligned and there was a shuttle bus between my terminal and the other terminal ready to go (with only me on it, as it turns out), and so I made it to my gate only mildly out of breath and with four minutes to spare.

And then I got even luckier because there was an empty seat next to me, so I was able to enjoy my wine (necessary, after Chicago) and snack while writing all the way to SF. When I got home, I immediately unpacked to stop myself from being able to procrastinate with that tomorrow, and then I spent the past two hours doing the preorder setup stuff (which required finalizing the back cover copy, creating a dummy file to upload, etc.).

Now, though, I am exhausted and need to sleep so that I can hit the writing hard tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: