Sunday, May 15, 2016

put apprehension on the back burner, let it sit, don't even get it lit

This was as hermity of a day as I've had in awhile, but I'm happy with where the writing took me (eventually), so I guess it's okay that I basically spent the last sixteen hours on my couch. I got up with all sorts of excitement and energy for the writing day ahead, but I got sidetracked online and squandered some of that momentum - I need a better plan for avoiding the internet, which may require a nuclear holocaust to remove the internet from existence (although that would make it a little more difficult for me to sell ebooks, so maybe that's not the best solution).

But despite that slow start, I got some solid writing in over the course of the late morning/afternoon, with a break to take a nap and meditate (I'm still liking the Headspace app, if you're curious, although you might guess that I do not do the best job at simply observing my thoughts and letting them go - but that's why I'm practicing). I also took a shower (huge accomplishment!) and sat on my terrace with champagne and a book for twenty minutes, but Karl the Fog drove me back indoors.

Then I spent the evening working, with a break to order dinner from Sprig, which may become my new go-to - they showed up in less than fifteen minutes, with a dinner that was the perfect size and also amazingly tasty (vietnamese beef with mixed greens, vermicelli noodles, carrots, daikon, and crunchy rice), and also with nutrients and ingredients and allergens clearly defined. And it was <$15 (actually, it was only $5 because I had a first-time discount). So that was super delicious, super convenient, and way easier than going to the grocery store and cooking would have been (and probably more nutritious, since I would have skipped the carrots and daikon and just eaten a bunch of meat or something). And it fueled me pretty well, so I ate that, drank another glass of champagne, and wrote until 9:30 or so.

Then, I told myself I would take a break for an hour, so I picked up Mistborn again - and of course that turned into reading until 1am. Oops. I'm kind of tempted to pick it up again after I post this, since I think I'm getting close to the end of the second book in the trilogy, but I should probably go to bed. But maybe the story will kidnap me, we'll see. I emerged from my book haze at one to seek hydration and put on pajamas, and then I had a startling realization about my own book, which I wrote down as fast as possible so I wouldn't lose it, which should make edits go a lot better than they have been. So if reading for four hours instead of working got me that realization, it was very well worth it.

And now I need to go to bed (even though we all know I'm going to stay up and read until three) - goodnight!

No comments: