Tuesday, May 31, 2016

the room where it happens

I was far more diligent today than I was yesterday, which was good preparation for the next few days of brutal slogging. But I also got nine hours of sleep and drank no alcohol, which was probably better preparation than anything else I could have done. The bed in my cute little airbnb is super comfortable, and the shower pressure is great, and there's a chair that seems comfortable but will probably destroy my back, so that's all nearly perfect...and good for the writing apocalypse that is descending upon me.

But that's too dramatic - let me start over. I woke up around nine, lazed about in bed, and then unpacked and took stock of my clothing choices and organized my writing materials. I also made some coffee and considered what I wanted to get done today, and took more time than you would think to get my manuscript onto my ipad (I needed to break it into pdf chunks that I could import into annotation software so that I could draw edits on them). And then I showered and generally tried to make myself look and feel human.

Once all of that was accomplished, I ventured out and had a late breakfast at Yolk, which is v. nearby and v. v. tasty - the folded eggs (a lazy man's omelette) with carnitas and avocado and salsa were excellent, and it was served with tater tots, which made for a delicious and not-so-nutritious start to the day (it would have been more nutritious if I'd finished the kale salad it came with, but kale salad is for chumps). Then I wandered down Provincetown's main drag and found a coffee shop, where I got a tea and sat on the patio for a couple of hours and read through the first third of the book (my least favorite third, as it turns out, which made me mildly depressed at the time).

Then I came back to the studio, with a stop to get a sandwich and some other grocery-type provisions (the sandwich, which I ate later, was super tasty). I also took a nap, which was v. necessary. Then, after a bit of procrastination, I worked in my room for about five hours, and got through the entire manuscript. Verdict: I have a lot of work to do, but it may be a decent enough book someday (where someday has to be in approximately two weeks), so we'll see.

And then I took care of a bunch of other business stuff on my to-do list that I've been neglecting, so that was all good. And now it's nearly one a.m. and I need to sleep so I can slog tomorrow (but also hopefully take a break and do at least one fun thing - we shall see). Goodnight!

No comments: