Monday, May 23, 2016

you watch me bleed until i can't breathe

Writing is progressing rapidly now, and I even took a break this afternoon for fun stuff...but all breaks must cease for the next couple of days, since I still have far too much stuff to get done before I turn it in to my editor on Wednesday (and then leave for Boston on Thursday). I woke up this morning and was mostly productive most of the day (at least until 1pm-ish). I'm still adding new scenes and taking out others, which means the words come in fits and starts sometimes, but at least they were happening.

But I can't articulate my process at this point, other than to say that writing is a bizarre and sometimes uncomfortable way to make a living. So I'll move on to other, easier things to explain - like drinking rosé on the back patio at Arlequin, which I'm pretty good at and is also something an amateur/novice could easily pick up without much skill or practice.

Of course, I talked to my parents this afternoon before pursuing my fun activity (and they were delightful, and also told me a nice story about a man named Bubba, so that was enjoyable). Then I walked down to Arlequin, which was hopping - luckily, Katrina and I were able to score a table and a bottle of rosé and three glasses, and we settled in to chat. Eventually, Justin joined us; he's better friends with Chandlord and Katrina than with me, but I always enjoy hanging out with him.

So the three of us sat around and discussed a variety of ridiculous and perhaps inappropriate topics, particularly in relation to weddings (Katrina has now been to like forty-two, which seems like approximately twenty too many) [actually, then I got curious and counted how many weddings I've been to, and it's fifteen friend weddings, ~8 family/family friend weddings, and seven weddings that I had to miss for a variety of reasons - but I was in four of the friend weddings and a couple of the family weddings and am about to be in Ritu's wedding, and I feel like those should count as extra].

Anyway, after Arlequin we went to Biergarten, where I very much enjoyed a bratwurst and some curried potatoes while drinking another glass of wine and talking about more ridiculous stuff. Eventually, we parted ways, and Justin and I walked back in this direction together (although he continued on past my place). I procrastinated when I got home, and then I took a long nap - sleeping from 9:30 to 10:30pm is dangerous and could have just turned into sleeping all night, but I rallied and worked for three hours, and that stuff was all good.

And now I need to sleep and hope my brain resets in time to write more words tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: