Tuesday, June 07, 2016

but the night was warm, we were bold and young

I'm nearing the end of my east coast voyage, and none too soon for my liver...I had a smoothie *and* kale today in an effort to reverse some of the trauma, which is a sign that I'm reaching the end of my body's ability to tolerate abuse. But today was pretty great, and I anticipate that tomorrow will be even better.

I spent the morning working, getting ready, and then working some more. The smoothie was procured at the juice bar next to a nearby Equinox, and its combo of almond milk, almond butter, dates, etc., was probably the healthiest thing I've eaten in at least a week. Then I went to Irving Farms, which is a small coffee chain in the city - they gave me iced coffee in a mason jar because they're so hip, and it fueled me up to get some serious writing done.

Really, I wanted to write all day, but I had to adjourn to the Times Square area for my social plan of the day. I had a late lunch and drinks with Kathia (remember her?), who took the train into the city to see me so I wouldn't have to go out to her neck of the woods. She seemed to be doing well, all things considered, and it was so great to see her. We caught up for a couple of hours over food and wine, and it was all totally lovely.

Then we walked to a wine bar and met up with her sister, and the three of us caught up some more over rosé flights (since that's how we roll). Then we walked to Grand Central, where we had another drink at a cafe (Cipriani) overlooking the main terminal, which was v. atmospheric. I really miss having Kathia in my general vicinity, and the time we spent together today wasn't enough - but it was better than nothing, and I'm glad I got to spend the time I did with her.

But by seven I really needed to go, so I parted ways with them and took a cab back to Terry's. We had cosmos in her apartment like we used to (although we only drank half of each, which was unusual), and then we had dinner at Joanne Trattoria. Fun fact: it's owned by Lady Gaga. We didn't see Lady Gaga there, but we did have a v. delicious meal - their gluten free pasta was quite good, especially with the truffle alfredo and chicken, and I was delighted with our meal. I was also delighted to spend some quality time with Terry - we haven't had a ton of time to ourselves to catch up, so we had a great conversation, and I continue to be tempted to move to NYC.

But that's a decision for a different day/week/month. We came home an hour or so ago, and she took care of her puppy, and now it's time for bed - I have most of tomorrow to myself and I intend to get as much work done as possible before our social activities begin again. Goodnight!

No comments: