Saturday, June 04, 2016

i will run away if you call my name

It's my last night in Provincetown. In some ways, this is tragic; I'm not ready to be done (and also not done with my book). In other ways, this is perfectly timed, since I probably shouldn't be a hermit for too much longer. But if you want to be a hermit, but not *too* much of a hermit, Provincetown is the right place to do it. It was super easy to strike up conversations and feel like I could have made bona fide friends here, which is not true of Carmel, for example (Carmel is way too sleepy and wasp-y and octogenarian compared to here).

But it's probably time to move on. I spent the morning puttering around and taking care of business, and then I had breakfast at Cafe Heaven, which multiple people had recommended to me - my omelette was delicious, and their home fries were decent (although they call them heaven fries, which I realize is related to their name, but it's a bit of overselling). Then I went to a cafe and worked for a few hours. I read through my editor's notes on Rafe and Octavia's story, and her verdict was that there's not a lot to fix...but I'm not sure I feel the same. So now I'm trying to decide what is a result of my own impossible standards and what is actually real, and then I'll go from there. I'll sleep on it, but I have a long train ride tomorrow to focus on this and start making progress on the final edits, so hopefully that's productive.

After I finished at the cafe, I came back to my airbnb and called my parents - we never talk on Saturdays, but since I'll be on a train tomorrow, I decided to do it today. They were in pretty good form; my mom was feeling well, and my dad was taking care of business, and [censored] talked to me mostly to rub in the fact that he was eating [censored], and they have four new kittens, and they have one recently-dead skunk (this is a good thing, since the skunk had been living in the garden), so it sounds like #smalltownlife is good right now.

Then, I should have worked, but I decided to avail myself of the last possible opportunity to climb the Pilgrim Monument and see the Provincetown Museum - it was 5:30 when I got off the phone, and it closed at seven, so I hustled over there and up the tower. The tower was pretty cool - it's 252 feet tall, so the view of Cape Cod was stellar (for the first time this week - I think this was the first really sunny day in three or four days, so I'm glad I picked this afternoon to do it). The museum was pretty small (smaller than the museum in my home town, which is kind of bizarre), but all in all, it was a good way to spend an hour.

After that, I dropped some stuff off at my place (I bought a book on the pilgrims, because that's how I roll), and then I had dinner at the Mews. It has gorgeous waterfront views, although I spent my time at the bar, where I had some delicious cabernet and an even more delicious lobster risotto while I scribbled in my journal and generally continued to look like the eccentric young artist that I usually look like in these situations. Or maybe I look like a serial killer, idk.

Eventually, I had to abandon the comfy confines of the bar and come back to my airbnb, where I packed and tidied up, etc. And now I need to sleep - my ferry back to Boston will come all too soon, and then I am taking a train to NYC, where my adventures shall continue in a different vein for a few more days. Goodnight!

No comments: