Friday, July 01, 2016

selling the drama

I didn't get much done today - as mentioned last night, I kind of hit the wall, and that feeling continued through most of today. It didn't help that I stayed in bed until ten, but that felt necessary. But I spent most of the day sitting on the patio (first with coffee, then with iced tea). For the majority of it, I did nothing but some desultory checking of sales rankings and social media. But then I did some brainstorming for Lucy's story (get ready for new names! I will no longer be talking about Rafe and Octavia!) while trying to move as little as possible so as not to scare the kittens who were also eager to hang out on the patio (but not eager to hang out with oh-so-threatening humans). The brainstorming went well and I might actually be excited about her story...but since I have no idea who her hero is, what he does, what his issues are, or even what his name is, it might be premature to start writing.

Eventually, though, I put everything away, took a shower, and drove into town. My parents' political party was selling food on the town square as a fundraiser - there's music on the square every Thursday during most of the summer, and different groups take turns selling food for it to raise money. I dropped my mom off, took her car home, talked briefly to Katie, and then went back into town to eat, since there would be no supper for me otherwise. They were serving smoked pork (delicious) and baked beans, and also some excellent hot dogs, and pie that I couldn't eat, but I didn't miss pie when I could have a hot dog instead.

This also allowed me to see a variety of townsfolk (the former owner of the flower shop; my old piano teacher; my friend Elaina's mom; the county attorney; the sheriff; various and sundry other people). I was likely the only person there who is on Nancy Pelosi's email distribution list, which was a comment that drew much amusement and head-shaking, but they didn't run me out of town, so I'd say it was a success.

Eventually, I came home, and I guess I lied about getting nothing done because I spent the last five hours working on website stuff. It doesn't feel like I got anything done because it's not done and that time would have been better spent taking care of other tasks, but c'est la vie. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: