Monday, June 13, 2016

when you play me, you play yourself

Today was a decent slog in the word mines, but I need to keep amping up my focus and keep my eyes on the prize for the next few days (and then the next few years beyond that, but baby steps first). I had intended to go to Philz this morning, but I happened to check twitter (which made me glad that I broke my vow to leave my phone off this morning) and saw that Apple's WWDC was going on at an event space near there, so I decided to spare myself the possible crazy line and stay home instead.

As it turns out, I was productive at home, which was a good thing, and I enjoyed a smoothie, and some tea, and some avocado toast and scrambled eggs for lunch, so that was all worthwhile. I also took a break over lunch and watched the stuff I'd missed from the beginning of the Tonys last night - mostly the Hamilton intro + James Corden's opener, both of which were great. I thought Corden's intro was more inspiring than such openers usually are, since it was all about how a kid can dream of the theatre and potentially make it, and he's a great performer.

After my break was over, I drove down to San Mateo for a writing date with Anne and Barbara. I was supposed to have dinner plans in the south bay tonight and so had scheduled this writing date last week, but my dinner got moved to tomorrow, which I'm now on the fence about because I'm not sure I have time to drive south for the second day in a row. But I needed to see Anne and Barbara before they disavowed me - since I haven't seen them in nearly three weeks, we had a lot to catch up on, including the fact that they have now made a new writer friend who lives in San Francisco, who seems to be on the shortlist to replace me if they cut me from the program or if I move away from SF like I occasionally threaten to do. That's all mostly a joke, but clearly I need to maintain my presence with some regularity if I want to keep my seat at Starbucks.

So we caught up for a bit, and then I got some serious writing done, and we also talked about some ads stuff, all of which was useful. But by 5pm, they were ready to leave, and I decided I would rather come home than kill time down there...so I drove home, but the drive took an hour, which was unfortunate. When I got here, I ate a weird combo of leftover takeout (some teriyaki beef and some saag paneer, which do not typically go together), and I did some journalling, and I contemplated my manuscript, but I mostly just vegged/procrastinated until now.

And now I'm going to sleep and try to get up early, but we'll see how that goes. Goodnight!

No comments: