Wednesday, July 27, 2016

i'm no good at aiming but i can aim it at you

I'm leaving for New Orleans in the morning, so today was all about checking things off my list and getting ready to go. The first item on the agenda was getting a long-overdue oil change and service check - I hadn't taken my car in since October, and while I haven't driven all that much (it's hard to drive the car when you aren't in the same state as the car), it was probably time. So I dropped my car off at the dealer, which is conveniently located four blocks from my apartment.

Then, I went to Peets and wrote for an hour - but most of the 'writing' was planning how I can write this book by November, since that's my secret goal (albeit not the goal I've thus far told readers about). The idea of a November release was daunting...but then I mapped it out, and realized that this week is the equivalent of early March for the last book (in that I'm sixteen weeks out from release). It's still daunting. But I realized that in early March I had very little done - more done than I currently have on this book, but I was still not in a great place emotionally, and I was just starting to get back into my writing groove. So....I'm not saying that trying to write this book in the next sixteen weeks is the best idea ever. But I would much rather get it out in November than have to wait until January, since I don't want to release it in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So, we'll see about all of that. If I hold to that plan, I need to get cranking on Lucy's story...but I need to get cranking anyway.

But cranking didn't happen today. When I was done with my coffee and my musings, I came home and spent the morning taking care of admin/email-type stuff. I also started packing, which wasn't hard since I'll only be gone for 3.5 days (but I think I took ten outfits, as one does). Then, I got my nails done, since my vanity knows no bounds. And then I grabbed another iced coffee, picked up my car at the dealer, came home, and spent the evening alternating between work, planning, cleaning, and total procrastination.

And now, I need to sleep - my flight is all too early tomorrow, and I want to get some work done while I'm in the air so that I can enjoy my time in NOLA without feeling guilty (and also, I need to write down any ideas I have for Lucy before my alcohol consumption on Bourbon Street destroys whatever brain cells those ideas are stored in). Goodnight!

No comments: