Wednesday, July 13, 2016

in my heart i feel so high, i wanna know the answers why

I'm in San Diego for my romance conference, and I really need to go to sleep - today was a long, lovely day, but it started with very little sleep (I couldn't fall asleep for two hours last night, which is unusual for me, and then I was in a twilight haze instead of being fully unconscious until it was time to wake up at five a.m.). So I was not particularly happy to be at the airport, but I made it with no issues (and with only a carry-on after some last-minute repacking, so we'll see if I removed anything crucial from my suitcase this morning).

I stocked up on iced coffee and boarded on time, and my flight was perfect - on time, empty seat next to me, mostly empty plane, so no issues at all. Getting to the hotel in San Diego was also a breeze, and I checked in and dropped my stuff before meeting up with Barbara and Poppy for lunch. We walked down the beach a few minutes and had lunch at someplace overlooking the water - the view was great and my cobb salad was what I needed (although I also ate too many fries).

Then, we met up with Christie, whom I adore, and we tried to take the ferry to Coronado. But we missed it by two minutes, so we instead called an uber, which was a way better plan - we had him take us over the bridge and straight to the Hotel del Coronado, where we sat on the outdoor terrace and had a cocktail and some guacamole and generally enjoyed life.

At that point, I was getting tired and also needing to decompress, so when we got back to the hotel I put on my pajamas and crawled into bed and read/napped for an hour. But I rallied for dinner - the four of us met up with Nalini, Deborah, and Josie (Nalini is someone I became friends with in Hawaii and I adore her; Deb and Josie live in SF and I quite like them as well), and we walked into the Gaslamp district to have dinner at Rustic Root. I had a nice gin cocktail and some v. awesome shrimp and grits with chorizo (shrimp and grits is reliably gluten free, although I'm still not totally feeling shrimp after my food poisoning, but the chorizo was perfect). And I stole some of Nalini's fries, so that was even better.

When we got back to the hotel, I hung out next to the firepits - this hotel is pretty gorgeous, at least with the pool/outdoor bar/firepit setup. I saw some old friends from the San Francisco chapter, whom I haven't seen since I basically stopped going to meetings two years ago - so that made me nostalgic and made me think I should go back sometime soon (other than the fact that I'm out of town all the time). Then, I had a late evening conversation with my friend Sherry, whom I completely love and adore - we had a wide-ranging talk about islands and books and writing and other fun topics, and I'm glad I got some quality time with her.

Then I came back to my room intending to sleep, and instead spent the last two hours talking to my roommate (Erin, who is only my roommate for tonight) - we had a proper catch-up, which is always good, especially since she also writes historical. And now I'm desperate for sleep, so I'm going to bed - goodnight!

No comments: