Sunday, July 10, 2016

y'all know we were made for each other so i find you and hold you down

Yesterday, as you may have gathered from my v. brief blog post, was a fun but drunken endeavor, and so today was spent paying the wages of my sins. I met this guy yesterday for lunch at Starbelly - he's the graphic designer whom I met serendipitously at Nectar a few weeks ago, and we'd decided to further our acquaintance over food and rosé. This turned into a *lot* of rosé - he'd ordered a bottle and grabbed seats on the patio before I got to Starbelly, so we kicked things off right. And I had their chilequiles for lunch, which were quiet tasty.

But since we both work from home, and since I hadn't started my next project yet (and was in a celebratory mood - I don't think I've properly celebrated Rafe and Octavia's release, which is why I've been lazy the last couple of days), and since he had nothing to do, this turned into another bottle of rosé at Starbelly. At 4pm, we moved on to Blush, where we somehow had two more bottles of rosé...and then we had dinner at Hillside Supper Club, where he ordered another bottle, but we didn't finish that one because at that point I couldn't handle the thought of any more rosé (although my duck entree was fantastic). It was a bit odd to spend nine hours together as a first real meeting, obviously...but he was highly entertaining and the conversation and wine were flowing, and it was all charming and extremely ridiculous, and we had a lot of things to bond over in regards to the difficulties of living a creative entrepreneurial life + odd similarities in our childhoods, so it was a fun way to spend an afternoon. And I tend to like having these random serendipitous encounters, so #noregrets.

Except I did have some regrets this morning...I got home last night around 10:30 and promptly fell asleep on the couch without having enough water, and then I crawled into bed around two and slept until 6:30. So when I finally crawled out of bed this morning, everything ached and everything spun. That meant I wasn't capable of doing much of anything, so I finished reading MISTBORN (verdict: j'adore! and now I must read the next series immediately). By then it was 12:30 and I was suddenly going to be late for my plans, so I ate an enchilada and drank some water and took a shower and dashed out the door to go to Quetzal to meet Tom for a writing date.

Since I'm not really writing Lucy's story yet, I didn't have much to do, but it was good to see him - we talked for the first hour or so, and then I nursed my fairly terrible coffee and did some prep work for Lucy. Shockingly, sadly, ridiculously, I discovered a major flaw in Rafe and Octavia's story while I was doing this - I was updating my series bible to include details from their book + Thorington's book so that I know what I'm committed to for the next book, and I realized that I somehow skipped a whole day of the house party. In other words, where it takes x days for something to happen in Thorington's book, it takes x-1 days for that to happen in Rafe's book. I thought I'd been so careful about this, but in the final edits I combined/shifted a couple of scenes, and I somehow lost a night. Damn.

No one has noticed thus far, and it's not actually the biggest deal in the world...but I'm still a little annoyed. So after I found that, I was kind of done for the day. I bid farewell to Tom, went to Whole Foods to grab food for tonight, and then came home and cleaned - I had to fold laundry and put away my suitcase (which I shall get back out on Monday), and I also cleaned the bathroom and cleared off my desk/dining table. And then I made chicken tacos - I'd marinaded the chicken earlier in the evening, so it was v. straightforward to cook the chicken thighs and heat up a tortilla and enjoy. It was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

So at that point, I was feeling less hungover and more smug/content about what I'd gotten done, and I was about to curl up with a book....when Adit texted and said he wanted pizza. So I ended up meeting him at Montesacro Pinseria, which is in the mid-market area where everything looks like it's been hit by the zombie apocalypse - but I took a lyft and didn't get stabbed, so that was great. I'd warned Adit in advance that I wasn't drinking tonight because I need a couple of days of health before going to San Diego, and for maybe the first (and only) time in my life, I stuck to my word around him and didn't get lured into sharing a bottle (although it's too bad, since their list looked great). But I had some cheese, which was delectable, and the atmosphere was very familial even as the apocalypse continued to rage outside.

So it was good to catch up with him some more in a v. lowkey way. But by 11 I was done, so I grabbed a lyft home, and then I succumbed to the sneaky, counterproductive lure of taking a nap on my couch before blogging (terrible habit). And now I need to go to bed for real, continue my detox tomorrow (while getting more work done), and start preparing for San Diego. Goodnight!

No comments: