Thursday, August 25, 2016

make it all all right for us

Today started with a productivity bang and ended with a whimper. I worked pretty steadily from nine to noon (mostly website stuff) when I realized that I needed to get ready to leave immediately or I was going to be late for my writing date in San Mateo. As it was, I was fifteen minutes late, and I made the heinous move of taking tuna salad to eat in front of them (although it looked super cute since I packed it in a bento box, and they claimed they couldn't smell it). The downside of this whole30ish thing I'm pursuing is that it's harder to eat something impromptu - but I successfully turned down our traditional rice krispie treat (even though we split it into thirds, so it's not like anyone gets too much), so sugar and grains will have to wait for another day to defeat me.

sssanyway. The writing date was with Anne and Barbara - I hadn't seen Anne in weeks (since before I went to Iowa, I think), since I was gone and she was gone and she didn't go to the conference in San Diego, and so our travels kept us apart for way too long. Barbara hadn't seen her in ages either, so we planned to meet at 1:30 instead of 2 so that we could catch up before we worked - and instead, that just meant we talked for 3+ hours instead of 2.5 hours. In other words, I did no writing at all.

But catching up is important, and we had a lot to discuss. And we did do a little work - we talked about ads and release schedules and goals, and I got some feedback on my tentative website design, so that was all worthwhile. I won't see Anne again until next week, but I'm making a last-minute trip to Tahoe with Barbara and another writer this weekend to do some serious writing, so hopefully I'll come up with a plot at some point.

But that's a struggle for tomorrow. When I left Starbucks, I went across the street to Safeway to get a couple of things that I can't get at Whole Foods, and then I suffered through a dramatically bad commute home (actually, it was normal for current traffic levels, but apocalyptic compared to what I wanted). When I got here I had grand plans to make tomato sauce and meatballs and zucchini noodles, but I was so hungry and so tired that I ate some salami, and then I made scrambled eggs, and then I called it a night.

I was going to do more work tonight, but instead I watched two episodes of Project Runway while answering a few emails in a most desultory fashion. And now I need to sleep and try to get back into the semblance of a regular schedule (but not too regular, since I'm driving to Tahoe late Friday night - but I'll have someone with me, so staying awake shouldn't be an issue as long as I get some sleep the next couple of nights). Goodnight!

No comments: