Saturday, August 06, 2016

they deftly maneuver and muscle for rank, fuel burning fast on an empty tank

As is common whenever I host a party, I probably have more left to do than I can possibly do in the time allotted. But as is also common whenever I host a party, it will be fun regardless of what happens and how ready I technically am when the first guest arrives.

Today should have been much more productive than it was, but I wasn't feeling it for some reason - so I dallied, but I also did three loads of laundry and cleaned out my fridge and hooked up my tv (somewhat unsuccessfully, but it'll do), and I went to Safeway and bought most of what I need for tomorrow. I also ran a couple of loads of dishes to clean my glassware, and I dusted my bar accoutrements (mostly bottles of liquor) so that they look drinkable, and I took inventory of my alcohol supply so that I know what to buy tomorrow (hint: where'd all the rum go?).

But even though I was ready to start baking tonight, I couldn't - I had dinner plans with Terry (remember her? she's in town) and Lauren. We went to Sessions, which is new-ish in the Presidio. I was more militant than usual about my gluten issues due to my stomach woes, so I made them leave the crispy onions off the burrata that we ordered to start, and I asked more questions than I usually would about the salmon, but I think I avoided getting poisoned. Our waiter seemed like he might have been high or drunk, but he was charming enough, and the food was pretty tasty. I feel about it pretty much exactly how I feel about Presidio Social Club (which is nearby) - the food is good, the service is always a little weird, and I mostly am interested in returning because of the free and readily-available parking. In other words, I'd go back, but not out of any sense of eagerness or excitement to return.

Or maybe I wasn't excited because I was missing the opening ceremonies - I don't know. For someone who loves the Olympics, I miss the opening ceremonies a little too frequently - in 2012 I was in Anaheim for a conference (although I made the person I met with that evening go to ESPNZone with me to watch, although we couldn't hear any of the commentary), and in 2010 I was on a plane back from India. I'm going to have to do a better job of blocking my calendar in 2018!

So anyway, when we were done, I took Terry to her sister's house, and then I dropped Lauren off at her place, and then I stopped at another grocery store to grab a couple of things I forgot that are necessary for cake-baking (I don't have cooking spray or vegetable oil since I gave those things up long ago, but they're necessary for this particular endeavor). And then I came home and watched the end of the opening ceremonies while taking care of stuff around the apartment and attempting to rearrange furniture to open up more space (spoiler: this is an impossible dream).

But now I need to sleep, and hope that my stomach and my excitement somehow conspire to get everything done before the party. Goodnight!

No comments: