Wednesday, September 28, 2016

hey little sister who's your superman

I want to go to bed so that I can get some work done in the morning, but I suppose I'll recap today first. I had a pretty standard day in #smalltown life - I woke up at 9:30, went upstairs, and conned my dad into making me breakfast (okay, he offered and I tried to politely decline, then hungrily accepted). My bacon and eggs fueled me for the day ahead, and we talked a little and I tried not to feel guilty about having kept him up until midnight last night (#sorrynotsorry, although he should get more sleep). I also had a brief convo with Katie, who took the opportunity to call the house phone like she always did when we were teenagers - and it was a delight to talk to her, even though I probably depressed the hell out of her by talking about the recent passing of the local librarian (whom my parents were friends with, and who shared a birthday with me, and whose daughter's first wedding I was a flower girl/junior bridesmaid in), among other local gossip.

Then, I did a bit of work, but I didn't get nearly enough done before my sister and Allie showed up for a visit. It was good to see them, even though the timing was slightly non-ideal given other plans in the day. But I preached the gluten-free gospel to them, and talked about the Vegas trip they're planning next year, so that was all good.

When they left, I ate a snack, and then I took my mom into town for the first half of a meeting that I was going to join her at later. Then I came home, showered, ate another snack, and went back into town to pick up my grandmother from her assisted living facility. My dad ended up following me in to make sure that she got into the car okay (it's tricky loading her and her walker into my old Sunfire, but even trickier to throw her up into my dad's truck, so the Sunfire is the only option).

Our destination was a meeting of the philanthropic group that the ladies in my family are part of (my mom, grandma, and Aunt Becky are in it, although Becky doesn't go to meetings because she lives in DSM). My mom had gone early for some business stuff, but we joined with the rest of the group for an early supper, followed by the meeting. Gram is very noticeably struggling to remember things and track what's going on around her, which is sad and depressing - but she remembered the things the group recites (I had to refer to my book, since I go to a meeting every two years), so at least there's that.

But despite the challenge of keeping Gram steady (and not loudly asking about who had died), it was really good to go to the meeting - I saw a bunch of ladies whom I really like, and having supper beforehand and some visiting time after gave me more of a chance to catch up than usual. This group has some substantial overlap with my mom's garden club, but there were some women there whom I hadn't seen in ages, so it was good to talk to them (even if health issues are coming to the forefront, including someone whose operation for cancer a few months ago accidentally took out part of her pancreas instead of the tumor, which seems like a really big fucking deal). And it was at the Methodist church, where I have many memories (we didn't go to the Methodist church, but it has some of the biggest meeting areas in the town, so I had 4-H stuff there, and Girl Scouts, and my brother's pinewood derby races, and preschool, and my sister's first wedding, and Gram Holder's birthday party, and Katie's wedding, and too many funerals). So there were ghosts and memories swirling through the background, but for the most part, it was happy.

sssanyway. Then we came home, and I messed around and procrastinated when I should have worked, and now I'm going to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: