Friday, September 23, 2016

i just want to see some palm trees, i will try and shake away this disease

Today was great, but my wrist is aching and I don't want to waste my precious typing capacity on zee blog. So, I shall give a v. brief recap - I woke up too late to get anything serious done, but early enough to shower and make a frittata, so I had a delicious breakfast this morning + leftovers for all the breakfasts between now and Iowa.

Then, I went to the de Young museum, where I had a glorious writing date with Veronica. I've known her for awhile, and she is also friends with Kathia (in fact, she was the other person who helped move Kathia's stuff last year, which bonded us irrevocably) - but she's also friends with Barbara and Anne and that whole crew, so our paths have been crossing more and more. She lives in the city, and now that her kids are back in school and she's better able to have writing dates, we're trying to get together more.

Today's date was pretty much perfect - we met in the cafe at the de Young, which is spacious and well-lit and not too crowded on a weekday. We chatted for a little bit, and then wrote, and I got five pages, which I was happy(ish) with. Then we took a break and saw the special exhibit on Ed Ruscha - it was the perfect interlude in the midst of writing, since seeing other art can be quite inspirational. I thought it was interesting that he keeps returning to the same themes throughout his career (to the point that pieces that were made thirty years apart sometimes looked like they belonged in the same show) - but some of his pieces are decayed/dying riffs on things he may have done in the 60s, which is rather fascinating in terms of how artists grow/progress/deal with the changing world and their own mortality.

Then, we went back to the cafe, had a late lunch (my salmon salad was delicious), and wrote a tiny bit more before parting ways. I think we're going to do the same date again when I'm back from Iowa - I have a membership to the de Young, which means I can go in free whenever I want and also take a guest in with me. So, while the cafe is open to the public (and there's free four-hour parking on nearby streets, which is a big bonus), it's so nice to stroll through a gallery when we feel like taking a break.

sssanyway. After I left, it was so gorgeous that I took an impromptu drive out to the ocean, where I watched the waves and the passersby for a little bit. Then I came home and spent the evening doing business stuff and daydreaming - I had a BookBub ad today, which seems to have done quite well, so I was tracking sales and messing around with spreadsheets and doing other things that look like productivity but are actually procrastination.

And now that I've typed just as much as usual and way more than I should have, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: