Sunday, September 25, 2016

i've done did a lot of shit just to live this here lifestyle

Tonight was one of those nights where I went out but kinda secretly hoped to be back by ten p.m.....and instead it's a quarter til four, and Adit and Vidya and a lot of small decisions yielded a big night out. Granted, I actually got home at 2:45ish, but that's a far cry from spending the evening looking at pics of the royal tour in Canada and possibly reading something....

But it was all worth it. I spent the day working (or pretending to work, more like it), but eventually I showered and made myself pretty for an early dinner with Chandlord, Adit, and Minnie and Ambar (Minnie was a college friend; Ambar was Priyanka's friend in business school; Priyanka introduced them and they got married a month ago). We went to Dos Pistos over in North Beach - I never go to North Beach and have never been to Dos Pistos, but I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty my carnitas tacos were. At that point, I was still feeling like calling it a night early....

But then we went to the main plan for the night, which was a comedy show at Cobb's Comedy Club. The main act was Hari Kondabalu, who was extremely funny; the previous acts were all great as well, although I particularly enjoyed the guy who pretended to be his Cuban immigrant father talking about how his son (the comedian) is a total fuck-up, and who also 'translated' the song 'La Bamba' into English. But Hari Kondabalu was worth seeing - I thought his act was quite strong, and it was fun to see comedy live since it's been quite awhile since I've done that.

There was a two drink minimum at the comedy club, so Adit and I both drank boulevardiers, and Chandlord had irish coffee to keep herself going. This ended up amping us up, so the five of us walked back into the heart of North Beach to grab another drink. The cocktails at this place were tasty, and I enjoyed my bourbon continuation there. But then as I was going to order another round, I somehow inadvertently made friends with someone behind the bar, who completely unexpectedly comped me a shot of vodka (#protip: make friends with the bartender). Then, Chandlord stopped me from ordering another round because they'd decided to go elsewhere...so I thanked the bar dude and went off on my merry way (with more vodka in my belly than I had intended to have tonight).

Adit, Chandlord and I split off from Ambar (who at this point had sent Minnie home and found his friend Sriram instead) and took a lyft to Geary Club, since at this point the night had descended to full-blown nostalgia. Geary Club used to be a dive, and it still technically is (they were playing SNL on the tv and the bartender is a good thirty-forty years older than us, and we got three drinks for $14, which is noteworthy), but it feels more brightly lit and way less divey now that you can't smoke inside.

Eventually, Ambar and Sriram reconnected with us, and we went down the street and smoked hookah (extremely unusual for me, but I liked it, even after someone accidentally knocked one over and nearly set my dress on fire) Then, we went to Grubstake and had cheesy potatoes, because that's what we have to do.

And now, I need to sleep - the sun is going to rise all too soon, and I'll have to start paying the wages of my sins while also getting something done. Goodnight!

No comments: