Friday, September 02, 2016

let my body do the work

Today was a mad scramble to get stuff done before going to Denver tomorrow. I took care of stuff around the house this morning, ate some eggs because that's all I have left, and talked to Katie briefly about logistics (verdict: the toddler army will likely overcome all our schemes, but we're planning mischief). Then I dashed down to Redwood City to go to the DMV - I had made the appointment five weeks ago, when I got the notice that my driver's license is expiring on my birthday and I had to come in for a new photo/thumbprint rather than renewing by mail. Since my picture was taken in 2004, this was probably reasonable, but I still wasn't looking forward to the errand.

However, while I had complained at the time about the fact that it took five weeks to get an appointment, I'm glad I did it - I was in and out (including checking in) in less than ten minutes, even though there were probably 80+ people there. We'll see if my photo looks like the cryptkeeper, but otherwise, success!

Since I had unexpected time to kill, I went to REI, where I bought a couple of things on clearance (new hiking pants, a cute dress) and upsold myself on a new down jacket since my old down jacket is looking pretty shabby. Theoretically one doesn't need a down jacket in San Francisco since it rarely gets below fifty degrees, but my blood has thinned considerably since I moved here, so I wear it all the damn time (last time it was worn: Wednesday night. Yes, it was August - but it was our coldest August in 74 years, so whatever). Then I grabbed a salad at Specialtys, which was delish.

After that, I met up with Anne, Barbara, and Deborah for a writing date in San Bruno. They gave the thumbs up to my new Lucy idea, although we brainstormed it a bit more and I tweaked it some more. And now I think I'm really, truly ready to start writing as fast as possible - the idea seems solid for all parties, and lends itself to high drama, so I'm less worried about running out of story halfway through than I was when I was playing with some of my other ideas.

So I wrote a few pages, and Anne and I caught some pokemon, and we heard about Deborah's trip to Hong Kong (I'm mildly jealous, but only mildly), and it was all good. But by the time I was done there and survived the drive home, I was starving starving, so I ordered a pizza. This was the first time I'd gone all-in on grains in two weeks, and I felt fairly disgusting almost immediately...but takeout options on my whole30ish plan are rather limited, and I am completely out of groceries, so c'est la vie.

Then I spent the rest of the night packing, taking care of business, taking care of house stuff, etc., etc. And now I really should go to bed - my flight isn't particularly early tomorrow, but I want to get to the airport in time for breakfast. Goodnight!

No comments: