Sunday, September 11, 2016

panda panda panda panda panda panda panda

My last day as a thirty-four-year-old was a good mix of productivity and socializing, with some wine and annoyance to spice things up. I woke up and spent the morning cleaning - I still have some stuff to take care of tomorrow, but this was good enough for now. Then I realized I was going to be late for brunch, so I threw on some clothes and dashed down to the marina (okay, I walked slowly down to the marina - my squats/lunges/kettlebells on Thursday turned my legs to stone, and I feel like I can barely move) to have brunch with Kristen at Caffe Union.

As you all know by now, that's my favorite brunch spot - so after we were done with brunch, I spent some time hanging over the dutch door to the kitchen and catching up with Tony. But brunch with Kristen was great - I know her in multiple contexts, since she works for one of the ebook retailers (not the one I used to work for), and is also Barbara's daughter (the Barbara I went to Tahoe with and see 1-2x/week when I'm in town). Kristen and I didn't talk business at all, and it was totally delightful, and she shares a birthday with my sister and my granddad, so I'll have to go out with her again soon.

After that, I came home, grabbed my laptop, put Project Runway on in the background, and messed around with cover design and stock imagery for four hours. I probably should have been doing anything else, but I'm a little anal about covers, so I went way too deep (but I think the end result will be good). Also, having Project Runway on in the background is a good motivator, since I need Tim Gunn to tell me to make it work as many times as possible.

But I had to put my laptop away and go down to the mission for dinner. My lyft driver was friendly and interesting, and we had a good conversation about the tech world. And when I got to Locanda (my dinner spot for the evening), I ran into Javier, whom I hadn't seen in forever, so that was entertaining. But I was there to meet Claudia, and she ended up being forty-five minutes late, which meant that I was slightly infuriated and drank far too much wine (and ate a bit of eggplant) while waiting for her. Luckily the staff was cool about it, and again, I had a lot of wine, so that dulled the edge of my annoyance When she finally got there, I stayed mad for another fifteen seconds, but then I forgave her and we had a delightful catch-up session over gluten free pasta, so all is good.

When we were done, I came home and spend the last four hours doing more photoshop/cover stuff while watching more Project Runway. And now I'm desperate for sleep - I need to write tomorrow and also do birthday stuff, so recouping some energy (and sobering up) would be a good idea. Goodnight!

No comments: