Sunday, September 04, 2016

shake it up just like bad medicine

I had an awesome day in Denver and would move here immediately if it weren't for how daunting packing and finding a new apartment is (and also all my friends in San Francisco, por supuesto). This awesomeness was in no way harmed (and, in many ways, was enhanced) by Katie's toddler army - Anne and Julia are now four and two, which means Anne is mostly more reasonable than she used to be and also doesn't need a nap, and Julia is super sweet and funny, so they are fun and entertaining. Also, they didn't get up until nine this morning, which was v. v. much appreciated.

So, we all had a lazy morning, which eventually led to James making us bacon and eggs and hashbrowns (breakfast of champions!). Then we went to City Park, which is next to the Museum of Nature and Science -- we hung out in the shade for a bit, and then we fed/chased some geese, and I caught some pokemon that I've never seen before, so that was all delightful.

James eventually absconded with Julia to try to make her nap (failure), while Katie and I took Anne into the museum to see some dinosaurs. She decided she'd rather see the space stuff instead, which mostly meant that she played with a bunch of sand that mimics water erosion for half an hour while Katie and I sat on a bench and talked. That was totally fine by me, but it made me miss the days when I used to plan to be an astronaut...I always really loved natural sciences, and in a different life I might have gone the astronaut or geologist route. C'est la vie, I guess.

Suddenly we were all v. hungry, so we had a girls' outing to Avanti, which Katie and I went to last time I was here - they have a bunch of food stalls and bars, so we grabbed some arepas and enjoyed a leisurely late lunch. Arepas are highly recommended, especially for gluten-free people (meat and plantains and avocado and cheese stuffed into a pocket made of cornmeal) - but they failed the no-grains part of my #whole30ish plan, and so I should probably remember how I felt an hour later, when I came home and promptly fell asleep on the couch (Katie was reading to the girls in an effort to get them to nap, and that trick only worked on me).

But I rallied, and we hung out and fed the girls dinner, and then James v. kindly volunteered to put the toddler army to bed while Katie and I went out and made some memories. So she and I went to Root Down, which is so fucking delicious - we sat on the patio with a view of the Denver skyline, and Katie had soup and I had beet salad, and we shared some burrata with heirloom tomatoes and some tuna crudo, and we had cocktails (hello, gin, my old friend - and I'm glad to see you brought some jalapeƱos with you for the party), and it was all perfect. Katie thought it was a bit chilly on the patio, but I was so thrilled to have a summer evening (even if summer is dying) where I could sit outside past ten p.m. that I didn't feel any chill. Again, I would move to Denver immediately if moving weren't such a pain in the ass.

But after we had finished being ladies about town, and after she had told me that she's a parallel parking goddess, it was time to come home. So we got here and talked to James, and I gave them a monologue about creativity, and we talked about mind-altering experiences, and then we realized we were about to have a mind-altering experience from sheer fatigue if we didn't go to bed immediately. So it's time for me to turn in so I can have more delightful times tomorrow - Katie is good for my soul, and I intend to suck every last bit of friendship out of her this weekend. Goodnight!

No comments: