Wednesday, October 19, 2016

gotta gotta be down because i want it all

I feel pretty good about today, despite not throwing enough words into the trenches - I keep trying to remind myself that this stage of the draft is like shoveling sand into a sandbox so that I can later make a sandcastle, and that the sand-shoveling process ain't pretty. But I wrote, and that's something. I also spent the morning taking care of some tasks, going to the grocery store, and feeding myself, all of which were worthy endeavors.

Then I sped to the south bay and had a writing date with Anne and Barbara in San Mateo. The downside of these dates is that I don't usually get enough words to justify the time investment, but the upside is that they keep me sane, so.....I guess I'll keep doing them. But not tomorrow or Thursday - I need to be wildly productive at home, and also prepare to leave for Tahoe (with Anne and Barbara, among other people) on Friday.

However, despite the fact that I wrote for a grand total of 50mins in the three hours I was with them, it was still a delightful afternoon. Then I drove even deeper into the bowels of the south bay to have a friendship renewal dinner at Shana Thai in Mountain View. I hadn't been to Shana Thai in months (I think the last time was with Heather), and I hadn't had a friendship renewal dinner in even longer - while Jen Lui was working in SF, we kind of splintered off and did our own fancy ladies' dinners rather than schlepping ourselves south. And I've seen Joann a few times in the last few months as well. But tonight was the full complement - Tolu, Jane, and Lizzie were there as well as Joann and Jen, so we had a lot to catch up on.

Thanks to the ever-shifting employment dynamics, all five of them are now working for my former employer; we all started together in 2003, and then four of the six of us left, and then the people who left went back (and in my case left again). Jen was the last holdout on returning, but she went through new hire orientation this week, so it looks like she's been recaptured. I was the only one who isn't currently employed there, but they still seem to enjoy my company, so I'm going to enjoy the friend ride while it lasts.

When we were done, I drove home and watched an episode of Project Runway before doing a bit more work. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: