Monday, October 17, 2016

only way to go is up

I'm exhausted, and I've been exhausted all day...which is mostly my own fault, since I didn't go to bed early enough, and also was sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, and also had my full share of two bottles of wine last night, and also am still somewhat recovering from being sick. This resulted in me mostly bailing on all my plans today, which was kind of a bummer...but more on that in a sec.

I had a v. lazy morning in San Jose - thanks to my aforementioned issues, I didn't really get out of bed until ten, which was about two hours later than I had planned for. When I rolled downstairs, Salim was just starting to make breakfast, so I drank some coffee and sat at the counter and talked to him while he cooked. Heather (aka dear respected madam) eventually came down as well, and we had a leisurely breakfast (eggs and bacon for me, pancakes and bacon for them), and I begged Salim for more coffee because I wasn't sure I could survive without it.

Even before breakfast was served, I texted people to cancel plans. The main plan was with Katrina - I was supposed to do a tour of Victorian homes with her and a couple of her friends, but knew I was going to be pushing it (even in the best case) to get back to the city in time). I was also supposed to get together with Tom and write, but that didn't happen either. So, I ate, and I drank a lot of coffee, and I talked to Heather, and I was v. loath to leave...

...but I had to leave eventually. So I said my farewells, and I drove home, and it took longer than I wanted (it was raining, which made for a stressful drive). When I got here, I was so tired that I laid down on the couch, and during my nap I slept through my nap alarm (that never happens), which means I got an hour of sleep but definitely couldn't make any afternoon plans happen. Then I called my parents, who were delightful. And then I thought about working, but instead wasted time on the internet....

...and then my plans with Tom rekindled themselves, since our original plan had been to write and then have dinner with Julie, and he held me to the dinner plan even though the writing plan hadn't worked out. So I threw on some pants again and took a lyft to Julie and Deano's place. We drank the bottle of champagne I took over, and we ate some v. delicious fish with potatoes/mushrooms and also some of the best brussels sprouts I've ever had at someone's house (Tom made them even though he doesn't live there, and they were perfect). Our conversation was super fun, and then took a sideways turn into a big argument about the Komen Foundation, which was quite entertaining (I've spent so much time arguing recently that it's making me revive my old dream of going into journalism/media....).

But then I came home, and now I really should sleep - I need to get back into some healthy sleep patterns so I can be more productive in the morning. Goodnight!

No comments: