Tuesday, October 25, 2016

rattling cages

Well, today was something. Luckily, that something was highly enjoyable - but it's almost 12:30am and I had intended to have a quiet night, and instead I drank my share of most of two bottles (it only wasn't two bottles because I refrained from the last glass I wanted to have and Barbara S switched to beer).

But, y'know, c'est la vie. I spent the morning getting some work done (quite decently), and then I took a break for lunch. I didn't let myself break for long, but then Grace and I escaped our compound and ran a quick errand - I wanted a long-sleeved shirt because I packed super badly (and by that I mean I packed almost perfectly but forgot to bring a hoodie), and so I bought a cheap Tahoe souvenir shirt, and then we grabbed coffee at Starbucks before heading home. And then I worked for another solid two hours, which was v. necessary.

But I had to break earlier than I wanted because it was my turn to make supper, so I ran across the street for some groceries, and then went to the other house and cooked. I made my now-famous chicken tortilla soup, which is a group favorite, and it turned out v. v. well, if I do say so myself. But it always takes awhile to cook, so I had a glass of wine with Barbara S. (and Christie, who drinks white, and Anne, who drinks beer) while it cooked, and then we all sat around the table and talked and laughed for far too long. Bella came up tonight since she wasn't able to make it up over the weekend, so that was a fun addition to the group; unfortunately, Tina was supposed to come up with her as well and wasn't able to because she's sick, so we're capped out at seven instead of eight. But it was all v. delightful, and as usual I enjoyed myself immensely (especially when I started joking about becoming Christie's stepmother, which was awesome, although you would have to be there).

Eventually, most people went to bed, and I had a highly enjoyable (in a very different way) convo about writing with Barbara S and Anne. Then, Barbara went to bed and Anne and I talked about life and travel, but we were interrupted by Grace, who needed to run to Safeway for something, and we convinced her to drive my car and take us with her so that she wasn't walking to Safeway in the rain at midnight. And then we came home, and now I believe I should sleep - the wine won't help with that, but I'm going to have to persevere anyway. Yes, life is hard. Goodnight!

No comments: