Tuesday, December 27, 2016

before this river becomes an ocean

I had a great day if you ignore the fact that I may have rebroken the toe that I broke a couple of years ago...but I've been applying ice and elevating it, and I hope that it just hurts and isn't actually broken. However, if it's broken, at least I'm about to take off for a place where I can wear sandals through most of the recovery period...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I slept in this morning, since we had no pressing family issues. But I eventually got up, showered, made some coffee, and generally pulled myself together so that we could play games today. Usually we would play our usual standby (Rail Baron, for those of you who don't read the blog religiously and remember every detail of my life). However, [censored] bought Ticket to Ride, and we decided to try that instead - it only takes a couple of hours, while Rail Baron takes six to eight, so I naively thought that maybe we'd play a round or two and then I would answer some of the email I've been neglecting.

Of course, that was a silly assumption - we ended up loving it and playing four rounds (I won twice), which meant we played for as long or longer than what Rail Baron would have entailed. But it was faster paced than Rail Baron, and while it sucks to lose anytime, it's way less sucky to lose when you have the chance to play again (or only spend 30-60mins knowing you're going to lose) rather than knowing you're going to lose and still having to play for four more hours.

At some point in there, I got up to put my lunch plate away and stubbed the hell out of my toe on a chair that wasn't in its usual position. It feels like it may be broken, but I'm hoping I'm wrong (and also hoping that, if it is, I did a better job of not damaging it further this time...last time I ignored it and went to a concert and stood on it for six hours, which was not ideal). We also took breaks to eat supper, and to analyze our previous games, as we usually do. And I came downstairs at 11:30 with the intention of going to bed, but instead messed around with some online shopping (without success) until now.

And now I need to sleep - tomorrow I definitely want to get some work done, so cross your fingers for that. Goodnight!

No comments: