Saturday, December 31, 2016

cherry blossom girl

I was way more productive today than I was yesterday, at least in terms of getting my life in order. This mostly meant going to the courthouse to get passport photos taken so that I can get an international driver's license next week - one advantage of a small town is that even though I unwittingly showed up after the time window when they say they'll do passport photos, they'll kindly do it anyway. It probably helps that they know my whole family, given how often they have courthouse business (property/vehicle/political stuff, not criminal stuff) - but still, it was way more efficient than any other government transactions I've taken place in recently.

I also spent several hours trying to organize my room - fitting the layers of my adult life on top of the layers of my youth is a challenge, especially when I know that I'm unpacking only so that I can repack in a week. I'm making progress, although I'm by no means done - but hopefully by early next week, it will be in a state where I would feel happy/able to get some writing done in my room during my visits.

Of course, that doesn't mean I was entirely virtuous today - I slept way too late, and I lazed about for several hours while drinking coffee and talking to my parents and enjoying another hot ham and cheese sandwich. And I ate dinner, of course, which included one of the best ribeyes my dad has ever grilled - and everyone was in a good mood because Iowa State came back from behind in their first Big-12 game of the season, so that was delightful.

But now I need to sleep - I want to keep organizing tomorrow, but I also want to play games and drink champagne and contemplate the new year. Goodnight!

No comments: