Wednesday, December 21, 2016

i love this record baby but i can't see straight anymore

I made it back to my ancestral home tonight, after a v. brutal drive - I drove 696 miles today, which is marginally shorter than the 737 miles I drove from SF to Salt Lake, but the last three hours of the drive were on two-lane highways through the rural parts of Iowa, where I had to be ever-vigilant for deer, which was a far cry from the easy 80mph cruising through Nevada and Utah. Also, Nebraska is incredibly, insanely boring, unlike the more scenic areas of Nevada and Wyoming. So, I'm v. v. v. glad to be out of my car and done with my move - I have to unload my car tomorrow, but then I can stop schlepping things around for awhile and focus on taking care of business and enjoying my family before my upcoming adventure.

So, that's all - I said my fond farewells to Katie and her daughters this morning (Julia was surprisingly distraught that I was leaving, but Anne was quite okay with it), and then drove alllll day. Lunch was leftover pizza from last night, as well as a couple of hashbrowns at some point; dinner was a bologna sandwich made with gf bread from my cooler and bologna I bought at a truckstop when I was craving the comfort foods of my youth (I haven't had bologna in years). And I spent most of Nebraska listening to the steady, entertaining, soothing voice of Rob Lowe narrating the rest of his autobiography, which was great.

But now I'm desperate for sleep, and I'm not setting my alarm, so no one should expect anything out of me for many hours. And finally, happy birthday to Jess! Goodnight!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the shout-out!!! I feel so famous.