Sunday, December 11, 2016

lenny bruce is not afraid

My move is coming all too quickly, but I spent most of today spending time with important people rather than packing - which was the right decision for my heart responsibilities, and the wrong decision for my more prosaic move-related responsibilities. #noregrets

This morning I had to scurry around like mad and get out of the house early (but not early enough - I was half an hour late). I went over to Berkeley to see John and Jess - I wanted to make sure we got some quality time before I left. We were originally planning to go to Saul's for our usual breakfast, but they suggested that I come over to their house instead - which was perfect, since we were able to hang out for three hours, and they could let Ian sleep for most of it instead of going out into the rain.

So, it was great to see them; they made me a delicious breakfast (that looked suspicious like brunch, since we ate at 10:30 and John and I had mimosas, but Jess doesn't like eating brunch, so let's call it breakfast). John made homemade tortillas, and Jess poached some eggs, and there were delicious black beans and cheese and salsa and avocado, and some v. strong coffee to wake me up. Ian woke up about an hour before I needed to leave, so we kept talking while playing with him - he's possibly one of the cutest babies ever (no joke), so I enjoyed making silly faces at him while Jess kept telling him that my name is 'Auntie Wamp'.

But I had to leave there around 12:45 to make my next stop in my grand tour of the bay - this time, I had to go to Los Altos to have high tea with Jen and Joann (of spinster honeymoon fame). It was delightful to see them as well - tea was v. necessary given the weather, although I think that more of the food there was prepackaged than I would have preferred (but I've been snobby about food recently since I've been watching Top Chef). But we had a delightful conversation as well, so it was worth driving down for.

Then I came home, and traffic actually wasn't that bad all the way up to the city, until I made a critical error and turned onto a street that was closed a block up, and the only choice was to take a detour that cost me twenty minutes to go a mile. I was feeling nostalgic and bittersweet after spending the day with my friends, but that little interlude trying to get home erased all sweetness and reminded me that I need to get the fuck out of the city. So I came home, ordered thai food, watched an episode of Top Chef, talked to my doorman about guns for awhile, and cleared out my bathroom closet and packed up some of my clothes. There's still tons to do, of course, but I'm making progress.

But now I desperately need to take advantage of my bed while I still have it - goodnight!

No comments: