Sunday, December 25, 2016

time to pick my heart up off the floor

Merry Christmas, everyone! I had a great day in ye olde Iowa, and as usual, I'm sad it's over. But this morning was one of those perfectly tranquil Christmas mornings...I woke up without being forced at 7:30, which is earlier than usual for me, but it gave me time to make some coffee (and have both my father and [censored] make jokes about the Folgers coffee commercial where the kid comes home from the army and makes coffee for his mom to wake her up, since my coffee grinder would have awoken the dead before the smell of brewing coffee could do the job). Then we spent a leisurely couple of hours opening gifts...so leisurely, in fact, that we had to stop for a break in the middle and eat breakfast.

But the gifts were great - I was pretty happy with what I'd chosen to give the family (despite feeling a little panicked a couple of days ago because the move had me so discombobulated that I'd forgotten what I'd ordered/bought in some cases), and I enjoyed giving the various tings to the various people. I was also happy with what I received - mostly things to prepare me for my travels + things to support my writing/fountain pen addictions, along with a couple of random objects I've coveted (a bracelet, a bed tray, a pair of Tom's shoes that were wrapped in two different boxes). And Dad surprised us all at the end with gifts we weren't expecting - in [censored]'s case, it was [censored] with a couple of [censored] that he can use for practicing [censored] if he can figure out how to [censored]; in Mom's case, it was an eighty-pound rock carved with something for her garden (which was a bitch to haul into the house when wrapped in a box); and in my case, it was a pair of diamond earrings, which I will v. happily wear all the time (and is much more convenient than either a rock or a [censored], so I would say I lucked out).

So, that was all great. We spent a couple of hours hanging out and messing around, but eventually we all had to get ready for the next event. My sister came over with her husband and three kids (and the girls brought boyfriends, and also my great-niece Jaicee was here). We had supper, and Jaicee destroyed me several times at Jenga - despite the fact that she's seven, she's a beast when it comes to Jenga. Then we exchanged gifts, and Sammi took Jaicee to her dad's before coming back, and some of us played some Cards Against Humanity until it was time to part ways (#protip: play with someone who works for the Amish to maximize shock value - one of the boyfriends works for an Amish guy and he seemed shocked by many of the concepts, although I think he was feigning innocence).

Then they all left, and I hung out upstairs for awhile, and then I came down and messed around in my journal and perused Anthropologie's sale, as one does. And now I am desperate for sleep - goodnight!

No comments: