Sunday, January 22, 2017

the ants go marching two by two

I should've gone to bed ages ago, but I stayed up talking to my parents, and then I messed around with booking massages at a couple of places I've wanted to try (my life is hard). However, today was good, all in all. I wasted most of the morning in bed, but I was quite productive in the afternoon. I also spent quite a bit of time talking to another Sarah here (there are three of us here right now, which is too many) - she and I have a lot of uncanny parallels in our lives, so it felt like one of those quick, deep connections that I would term a 'summer camp friend' (although some of my 'summer camp friends', especially among the India expat group, became real, lifelong friends, so ymmv). And we had a drink to say goodbye to Leonie, who was going back to Switzerland tonight - the weird thing about a situation like this is that people come and go, and the goodbyes are already starting even as I'm meeting new people all the time.

But I stopped working and went out for dinner eventually - a group of six of us ended up going to Moksa, which was a 10-15min walk from the hotel. The walk started off on the road, which turned into a motorcycle-friendly road/path, which turned into a footpath (that people still took motorbikes down, but it was too narrow for that), that turned into a sidewalk with open holes for drainage (not the safest thing in the dark). But Moksa is out in the middle of the fields from which they grow their own vegetables, and it's a vegan place that comes v. highly recommended.

The restaurant itself is gorgeous, and their plating is outstanding, as per usual in Bali. I had the raw Vietnamese spring rolls to start, which were tasty, and then I had the 'purple scallopini' as my main course - it was a couple of thick rounds of purple sweet potato, grilled, and plated with tomato, zucchini, eggplant, and some balsamic. It was delicious and gorgeous, although I joked that I probably burned all the calories from the meal just walking there and back - which was probably true since I just ate chocolate at 1am like a crazy person (I never crave chocolate in the middle of the night - and this was more of a craving for steak than chocolate, but you take what you can get).

Dinner was delightful, though, and I'm glad I tried it. Then I came back here, messed around online, considered whether I could catch the gecko currently living in my bathroom (verdict: no), and called my parents. And now I need to sleep - I have goals for tomorrow and they're not going to accomplish themselves. Goodnight!

No comments: