Sunday, February 05, 2017

don't want to fall in love with you

After a sweltering day with no rain, the winds are beginning to howl outside and it feels like a storm is moving in. Yes, I've been complaining about the rain, but when it's not raining, steam rises from the ground and turns the world into a sauna. With the heat and humidity, I had an odd moment today where I could almost feel corn silk in my hands, like it was summer back home and I was shucking corn (not that I ever had to do that, since my parents usually took care of it).

But I'm not at home - I'm still in Bali, which continues to delight. I had breakfast and a long conversation with Sarah; Yellow Flower has rice pancakes, which are basically a big, thin crepe covered in bananas, coconut, and syrup, and they were completely delicious (and an odd departure for me, since I rarely have sweet things for breakfast). And Sarah and I had a lot of interesting parallels in our respective lives, so we've gotten pretty deep into our summer camp friendship.

After breakfast (which basically became brunch), I came back here and did some work, although I wasn't satisfied with what I got done. Then I got a massage, which I was v. satisfied with - it was better than either of the other massages I've had here, and was a three minute walk from the hotel (made perilous only by roosters in the rice paddies and angry dogs that seem to belong to the spa and are doing nothing for their business). Then I came home, rinsed the oil off, and took my laptop and snuck out to have a solo dinner at Element. As mentioned yesterday, I haven't been getting enough alone-time, so dinner and a glass of wine and my journal and some work on my laptop were like balm to my soul.

Then I came back and did a bit more work upstairs, but the wind kicked up and I'm feeling tired, so I think it's time to sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: