Saturday, February 25, 2017

going mad for a couple grams

I'm sitting in a lounge at the Singapore Airport, waiting for my departure from Asia. I fly to Kuala Lumpur (which is half the distance from SFO to LAX, so I'll probably spend more time taxiing than I will in the air), am on the ground for an hour, and then I spend fourteen hours flying from Kuala Lumpur to London. I used credit card points to buy a business class ticket, which I'm exceedingly grateful for at the moment - I'm looking forward to fourteen hours offline to work/sleep/read (sort of like a silent retreat, but at thirty thousand feet and with less chance of ants but more chance of dehydration).

I'm sad that my time in Asia is coming to an end - I really enjoyed Singapore more than I expected to. Granted, I did nothing of note other than walking around last night. But I got some excellent sleep, and then I had a delicious buffet breakfast (I love Asian hotel breakfast buffets, since they always have a strange mix for their various clients - so I had bacon, eggs, sausage, sambar and rice, a samosa, and some chicken dumplings). Then I worked in my room until two - they gave me a later check-out, which was super nice.

Then I ventured out and got a pedicure, which was v. necessary (I hadn't had one in five weeks and that one wasn't good, so my nails were looking particularly wretched). I also had Din Tai Fung again, because those dumplings are crack and I can't resist them even though I know they're full of gluten. And then I walked back through a variety of aboveground/underground malls since it was raining - I walked almost half a mile, across several streets, without ever stepping outside. One of the malls had a Tokyu Hands (a great Japanese store), where I bought some washi tape and an umbrella - I should have had an umbrella in Bali, and I'm sure I'll need one in London.

Then I worked at the Fairmont for another hour, and then I came to the airport, and now I'm going to post this, eat a snack, and head to my gate. Next stop London - goodnight!

No comments: