Friday, February 03, 2017

gotta break loose cause that's the motto

Today was rather wild - or, at least, I will tell myself that tomorrow to console myself for my inevitable hangover. The morning/afternoon was quite productive - I got up, cleaned myself up, and walked to Lazy Cats so that I could get some fresh air and get some work done. On the way, I had my first bargaining experience - I bought two dresses for 150,000 rupiah (which is $11), after the guy opened with 99,000 for one of the dresses and I counter-offered 150k for two. Perhaps I got ripped off, since he accepted immediately; but I could never buy two dresses I actually like for $11 total in the US, so I walked away satisfied.

Then I went to Lazy Cats, where I did a substantial amount of writing and also a substantial amount of admin work. I also talked to Claudia (aka Santy Claude), which was delightful. It started raining at some point, and it kept raining for hours, so eventually I was forced to walk back in the drizzle so that I could shower and get ready for tonight's main event...

...which was drinks at the Four Seasons to celebrate Clayton's birthday/going-away. You all know that I'm a fancy bitch and I love the Four Seasons, and this place was next-level gorgeous - the bar looked out over a perfectly groomed tropical jungle, and the drinks were perfect. So, because they were perfect, I had four (as did Clayton). Sarah and Clayton and I went early to secure a space and hang out in a quieter setting, and I felt like such a lady ridding sidesaddle on a motorbike over there (in deference to my dress, since I couldn't straddle my motorbike taxi guy without looking supremely inappropriate). But a bunch of other people showed up over the course of the evening, and we were pleasantly surprised to see a Balinese dance performance - it felt like one of those rare, magical night when everything goes right.

When we were done, the bill came to 4.5 million rupiah (to contrast, each of my cocktails was 30k more than my two dresses this morning), so it was fun counting that huge stack of money. Then we came back to our neighborhood and had dinner at Element - I also had four more cocktails there, which was four more cocktails than I needed to have. And when we were done there, we all came home, and Sarah, Sanj, Saurabh and I sat on the roof and drank a bottle of wine.

Needless to say, I need more water and less typing, so I think it's time for bed. I'll really miss Clayton, but the nomad life requires a fickle heart and an eye toward the future, so I'll have to lay a friend trap for whoever shows up next (but typing that makes me sad, so let's pretend I didn't say it). Goodnight!

No comments: