Wednesday, February 01, 2017

i stopped an old man along the way, hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies

Tonight took an unexpected turn. I blame the rain, which has fallen throughout the day, alternating between calming drizzle and apocalyptic downpour. I woke up relatively early this morning, showered, made myself some eggs, and then went upstairs to drink tea/work for awhile. As I was working, the first great wave of rain arrived - the wind picked up, and suddenly it was driving rain into the coworking space more aggressively than I've seen it so far. We all scattered, pulling up laptop and power cords and papers, and pulling tables and cushions away from the west 'wall' so that we could escape the rain.

But once we were all away from the open areas, work resumed. However, I took a long break to talk to Ritu - it was the first official friend chat I've had since I've been here, and it was delightful. Bill joined us, which is fine since he claims he can distill alcohol during the apocalypse for us (I'll believe it when I see it). So we caught up, and I quite enjoyed it, and they seemed to be able to hear me despite the sound of driving rain the background, so that's all good.

Then I ate some nasi goreng (the rice dish I eat all the time here), and then I worked for the rest of the afternoon. But in the evening, I took a break to have dinner with Clayton and Sarah - we went to Pacha Mama (again) because I was desperate to get out of the property, and so we skipped the community dinner. The food was delish, as usual. But I also had two glasses of wine - and then, when it suddenly started pouring and we had to switch tables to avoid getting wet, we all had a third drink. We also ordered the bananas flambe, and I was drunk enough (or social enough) to get the owner/chef to show me how to make them, which meant I got to cook them for us tableside with his oversight. I didn't set any of us on fire, so that was #winning.

Then we tried to leave and come home, but halfway here it was so wet that Sarah and I dashed into Element (abandoning Clayton) and had another drink there while we continued our conversation. Just after we dried off, we finished our drink and it was time to leave, so we ran the rest of the way. But I'm sufficiently dry now, and I need to sleep if I have any hope of being productive tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: