Monday, February 13, 2017

looking for clues at the scene of the crime

IMPORTANT PROGRAMMING NOTE: there will be no further blog posts until Friday evening, 17 February (Bali time - that's approximately Friday morning in the US). I am leaving for a silent retreat tomorrow and will be offline for three days, which is the longest I'll be without internet since the day I got my smartphone (and possibly since somewhere around 1996). I am excited and ready to disconnect, but I'm sorry that you won't hear the minutiae of each day until I get back.

I spent the day mostly working - nothing too exciting, although I spent some time doing some personality stuff and talking to Lisa about it (Lisa is certified to coach on some of this stuff and has some great insights, especially since it turned out that four of my top five strengths on the assessment I did overlap with hers). No more on that yet - I need to do some meditating on it while I'm off being silent in the jungle.

I then spent the evening having a solo dinner with Sarah - I'm leaving for my retreat tomorrow and she's leaving to go back to the US before I get back, so we had to say our goodbyes tonight. We went to Naughty Nuri's first and had barbecue - it was a v. different experience than most of the places we've been going, since a) it was almost entirely meat, and b) it was more open to the elements, more rustic/old school, and full of meaty smoke from the barbecue set up out front. But it was super tasty - I had a hot dog, of all things, and my fries were great, and the margarita was surprisingly wonderful.

Then we went next door to Room4Dessert, which we hadn't remembered was there - Sarah had wanted to try it, and we realized by accident that we were right next to it. That turned out to be incredible - the space is really cool, and their dessert menu is decadent and interesting, and they have a fantastic-looking cocktail list. We had wine instead, but that was also tasty, and our two desserts (a chocolate creme brulee and something called 'Whisky, Torture, Turgenev', which I ordered solely for the name bc I like Russian authors and whisky and torture) were both outstanding. There was an American woman working there, which was also interesting, and so we chatted her up when we weren't busy talking to each other.

Then we came home, which was an experience - the motorbike guys who had taken us there came back to pick us up, but at that point the rains had arrived, so I put on the poncho one of them handed me (which was more heavy duty than my jacket) and we set off. I don't know how they see anything, since the rain was driving into my eyes and blinding me, but it was an exciting adventure and I made it back in one piece. Then Sarah and I sat on the roof and talked for a couple more hours and generally tried to make peace with the fact that we're about to part ways and go back to our regularly scheduled other lives. This is the downside of summer friends.

But now I need to sleep - I have a bunch of stuff I want to do tomorrow before I go offline, and I also need to pack and eat something before I go. Goodnight!

No comments: