Thursday, May 25, 2017

dear theodosia

I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago, but jetlag has struck and also I was too consumed by other things to sleep. I woke up late today (the inevitable consequence of staying up until three a.m., which I'm about to do again), and then I messed around my room for a couple of hours - I always need to unpack whenever I'm someplace for more than a night, so I unpacked and organized everything and generally settled in. Then I showered, and then I realized that I was desperately in need of caffeine and food (in any order)...

So I went downstairs and found the kitchen, where I ran into Dane and Luisa, whom I'd met in London. We reunited and talked for a bit, and I had some iced coffee (without ice - barbaric), and then Dane showed me around the property, which is pretty great. After that, I walked downtown - it was only fifteen minutes, but it was incredibly hot (94 but heat index made it 101), and also involved walking over a drawbridge and under some overpasses, all of which felt super sketch (no dangerous people in sight, but still). I grabbed a late (3pm!) lunch at a Mediterranean version of Chipotle (delish!), and then spent an hour writing at Starbucks, which was great.

Then I went to the Whole Foods next door and bought a few breakfast-type things, and then I took a lyft home to avoid the whole walking situation. When I got here, I put the groceries away and promptly decided to avoid tonight's community dinner - I don't feel a strong need to get involved here, particularly since Terry comes tomorrow and I'm here to get some work done when she's not here.

So, I spent the evening reading 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette?', which I LOVED - it's exactly the right kind of voice/structure for 'Spinster Honeymoon'. I read from 6:30 to ten, and then I took a break to watch a livestream of a Junot Díaz talk that was happening at Stanford tonight - I almost didn't, but I'm so glad I did. He's a fantastic author (don't take my word for it, he won the Pulitzer), and his speech was excellent. This resulted in me having a lot of feelings, so I tweeted a lot about it, which took a lot of time...

But sometime after midnight I was done, and then I succumbed to temptation and decided to finish reading my book rather than going to bed. And now I'm done, and I need to sleep so I can assimilate all the culture/thoughts/lessons/voices I heard today - goodnight!

No comments: