Friday, May 12, 2017

favorite fighting frenchman

I'm in the dirty dirty east bay after a day of fun and friendship and just slightly too much wine (but nowhere near the wine experienced the last time I was in the east bay). I awoke this morning in Belmont, after a perfect night's sleep in Shedletsky's guest room - perhaps the advantage of my nomadic lifestyle is that I have, so far (knock on wood), slept perfectly in every new bed I've found myself in over the last week, which is kind of unheard of. I took a shower, packed up my stuff, said goodbye to Shedletsky (whom I hope to see again very soon), and eventually showed myself out so that I could drive to my next adventure...

...which was a quick stop at Starbucks, followed by a long, idyllic drive to Santa Cruz. I had lunch plans with a writer friend named Jules, whom I don't mention much because she lives in Santa Cruz, which is pretty much like living in Nevada in terms of my desire to drive there on a normal day. But we were long overdue for a catch-up, so we had lunch and talked shop and I learned some interesting tings, which all made it worth going.

But at 1:30 my meter was dead and I needed to get on the road if I had any hope of beating traffic (a forlorn hope for sure). The drive from Santa Cruz to Berkeley took over two hours, most of which is not very scenic at all (unless you like your scenery full of warehouses and freeway walls and depression). But I got here just before four, stopped at a wine store to buy something for John and Jess, and was on the verge of picking something when their power went out. Luckily I had $41 in my purse, and the guy happily took $38 of it for two bottles of Italian wine (which may or may not be good, since I loved Italian wine in Venice but was also thrilled to be in Venice and would have loved anything if someone told me it was red wine).

Then I met up with John for coffee near his office, and we discussed labor unions in a Berkeley backroom like the counterculture people we most definitely aren't. Then we went back to his house, where was rendezvoused with Ian (the big king of saliva, as his nickname is in Chinese, although it doesn't translate all that well into English). John made cocktails featuring his experiment with clear ice, which was quite impressive, and we mostly chilled and broke things until Jess got home from work. Then we enjoyed a v. v. lovely evening of fun and friendship, with tamales and wine to feed our bodies and laughter to feed our souls. This feels like the right time to use #blessed, so I'll throw it in.

And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: