Monday, May 08, 2017

i can see all obstacles in my way

I had a great day in the glorious south bay, even though I walked down Castro Street in Mountain View and idly thought that I would be okay never walking down that street again. Not that I intend to never go back again, but the thought did cross my mind.

But before I went to Mountain View, I spent the morning lazing about in bed and taking advantage of the fact that Heather's guest bed is comfy and I've spent enough nights here before in the past that my body didn't do the usual thing where it freaks out on the first night in a new place and doesn't let me sleep. Then I hung out downstairs briefly before spending an hour on the phone with a writer friend (Darcy) to catch up on industry gossip. And then I ate a late breakfast, since Salim made me scrambled eggs and coffee and a whole heap of berries, which was all delightful.

Then, Heather went into work and dropped me off in Mountain View on the way. I spent a couple of hours at the cafe at Books Inc, where I successfully wrote a thousand words (as good as I ever get when I'm starting a project). Then I went to my eye doctor, who proclaimed my eyes to be as good (bad, but good) as ever, so my prescription didn't change, which was a relief. He also dilated my eyes to the point that I could barely see anything up close the rest of the afternoon - so to those of you who texted me this afternoon, apologies for being too much of a crackhead to respond.

When that was over, I got a pearl milk tea (I could see distance to cross streets, but ordering a lyft after was super difficult) and went to Heather's office, where I sat outside and wrote for another few minutes until she was ready to go. We came back to her house, dropped off our stuff, and then went to Willow Glen for dinner at someplace called The Table, which we went to on a whim because our original destination was closed. It turned out to be quite tasty - their initial wine offerings for us tasted like they'd been open for several days, but when we realized that ordering by the glass might be a bad idea, we instead got a half bottle of pinot noir, which tasted perfect and was the right amount for us to split. I also had a v. delicious pork chop, and Heather had fried chicken, and we shared a pot du creme after, and it was all a delightful complement to our deep, hours-long conversation.

Then we came home and I lured Heather into the dark side of bullet journals - someone should pay me, since I've converted multiple people to the cult. I also watched some Family Guy with Salim, which made me think of [censored], who was undoubtedly asleep. And now I must sleep as well - I have to schlepp my way to the city of sin tomorrow for some entirely decadent plans, so I need my beauty rest. Goodnight!

No comments: